Pacific National (PN) is the largest provider of diversified rail freight services in Australia. We haul a variety of freight including coal, intermodal containers, steel, and a range of bulk commodities and materials that keep the region’s economy, businesses and households running. We operate nationally with approximately 3,500 staff in over 100 sites across Australia. Join us as we continue to transform our business and shape the rail freight industry, to achieve our vision of becoming Australia’s recognised leader for safe, innovative and sustainable rail freight solutions.
Reporting in to the Manager for Tactical Planning, the Principal Operational Access has key accountability for the facilitation and coordination of our operational access to the rail network in the live run environment.
With two direct reports, you will be expected to provide technical and thought leadership in an inclusive and collaborative manner, creating an environment that fosters a high-performing and engaged team.
In order to be successful in this role, you’ll need to build and maintain successful business relationships both internally and externally. Acting as the conduit between the live run planning team and our below rail providers, your ongoing focus will be on delivering solutions which result in improved business performance.
This a challenging, but pivotal position that has the potential to further develop an existing career in rail, planning or logistics for the right candidate.
Key responsibilities include:
- Assess access constraints to ensure optimum asset deployment
- Develop and lead initiatives specifically relating to network access that improve the utilisation of labour and assets
- Support the management and negotiation of relevant access agreements / requirements to meet customer requirements whilst maximising business outcomes
- Expected to contribute to the development and review of new/current freight services to improve on business performance and delivery of customer expectations
- Drive innovation by providing support for the design and development of system or process changes
- Capture and plan opportunities for overall cost reduction and report on benefits realised
- Manage the efficient coordination and alignment of planning teams to achieve service delivery excellence
- Drive efficiency and transformation in all business processes to reduce cost of delivery
In order to be successful in this role, ideal applicants will possess strong analytical ability, coupled with an innovative and creative thinking style. High-level communication ability is essential, with verbal, written and interpersonal skills integral to success in this role. You will need to demonstrate proven relationship management strengths, with clear evidence of your ability to build successful business relationships.
In addition, you’ll be expected to demonstrate:
- Experience in asset management, labour planning, scheduling, below rail access or similar
- Excellent stakeholder engagement and communications skills
- Passion for quality outcomes and results
- Proven skills in problem solving with a high attention to detail
- Methodical yet flexible approach - a team player who can work autonomously to meet tight deadlines while managing competing priorities
- Background in transport, planning and/or logistics essential
- High level proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite, particularly Excel, Word, Powerpoint
Our culture embraces diversity, inclusion and flexible work options. Working for us will enable you to take ownership of your career and gain access to opportunities for growth and development, while enjoying Pacific National’s financial and non-financial benefits such as paid parental leave, opportunity to purchase additional annual leave, discounts on health insurance, travel and more.
We are looking for people who share our values of Safety, Integrity, Accountability and Teamwork, and live these values through open and honest communication and respect.
We embrace diversity in our workforce and encourage everyone to apply.
Applications close on 25 April 2019.
Are you ready to be part of our future? To apply, please click on the 'Apply' button below and follow the prompts.
For more information please contact Robyn Peters from the Careers team on +61 2 8484 8134 or alternately, apply today!
To find out more about Pacific National, our benefits and the opportunities we offer, visit our careers page www.pacificnational.com.au/careers
Home Safely Everyday - Our top priority is getting you home to your family safely every day.