Data Science Specialist
Job no: 493694
Work type: Permanent Full Time
Categories: Information Technology, Credit Risk
The Specialist, Data Scientist will be a key contributor to a world class Decisioning team at NewDay.
We embarked on the journey to build the function a few month ago, with large ambitions shared at all levels of the organisation. We have created the framework to start harvesting the value of multiple sources of data (structured and unstructured) and open source algorithms, and have started proving the value of Data Science. Now we are looking to build the team at scale. You will have the opportunity to work collaboratively in a state of the art environment, You will support specific projects and will own some key elements of these projects (such as gather and wrangle the data, develop, test and implement the selected algorithms).. You will have the opportunity to work on a large range of projects covering the full customer lifecycle from pre-approval to customer management and collections, using tried and tested approaches (Linear and Logistics regression, GBM, random forest, Gaussian Mixture segmentaion…) and less so (Deep Learning, Genetic Algorithms, multi-objective optimisation…) trying to predict and explain many behaviours related to credit card usage. You will explore a variety of extensive datasets (we have millions of customers) to drive greater value through both improved customer outcome and commercial value. We will provide you training and mentoring to become familiar with the specificities of working in a financial services organisation and the algorithms and methodologies you don’t know yet. We expect you to be creative and innovative in your, but also pragmatic in your approach to the projects you will be working on.
Specific lead accountabilities of the Data Science role:
- Using advanced statistical and machine learning techniques to identify new trends and relationships in data.
- Develop knowledge of all relevant data resources within NewDay, and in the Credit Industry.
- Harvest and wrangle and data sources internally and external to NewDay to drive value for NewDay and our customers.
- Be a proficient user of standard ML modelling algorithms and model development methodologies.
- Be aware of methodologies available and their respective potential use and limitations.
- Able to deliver projects with support of manager or mentor on time
- Present approach and output to colleagues, adapting the level of detail as appropriate.
Skills and Experience
- MSc in a Scientific field
- Enthusiastic self-learner
- Proficiency in machine learning techniques
- Proficiency with open source analytic coding such as Python or R
- Proficiency in statistical techniques
- Experience in data visualisation and communication
- Analytical and problem solving skills
- Presentation skills and experience in dealing with senior stakeholders
- Knowledge of visualisation tools such as Tableau
- Passionate about modelling and other techniques to drive value from big data
- Personable, credible, with good communication skills
- Excellent interpersonal & written communication skills
- Self-motivated, able to work in a high-pressure environment
- Strong organizational, planning and time management skills
- Ability to build strong and effective working relationships
- Ability to embrace company culture and embed into day-to-day interactions
- Strong sense of accountability and ownership
- Ability to adapt in an environment where priorities evolve.
- Self-starter and eager to learn and develop skills
- Strong sense of ownership and accountability
- Team player
Advertised: GMT Standard Time
Applications close: GMT Standard Time
Back to search results Apply now