Data Science - Senior Specialist
Job no: 493697
Work type: Permanent Full Time
Categories: Credit Risk
The Senior Specialist Data Scientist will be a key contributor to a world class Credit Decisioning team at NewDay. We embarked on the journey to build the function a few month ago, with large ambitions shared at all levels of the organisation. We have created the framework to start harvesting the value of multiple sources of data (structured and unstructured) and open source algorithms, and have started proving the value of Data Science. Now we are looking to build the team at scale. You will have the opportunity to work collaboratively in a state of the art environment, You will own specific complex projects from end to end, interacting with your key stakeholders to define the problem at hand, plan the approach, gather and wrangle the data, develop, test and implement the selected algorithms. We expect you to be creative and innovative in finding solutions to challenging problems. You will mentor more junior colleagues on various techniques, and lead them to deliver some of the sub-tasks of your projects.
You will work on a large range of projects covering the full customer lifecycle from pre-approval to customer management and collections, using tried and tested approaches (Linear and Logistics regression, GBM, random forest, Gaussian Mixture segmentation…) and less so (Deep Learning, Genetic Algorithms, multi-objective optimisation…) trying to predict and explain many behaviours related to credit card usage. You will explore a variety of extensive datasets (we have millions of customers) to drive greater value through both improved customer outcome and commercial value.
- Using advanced statistical and machine learning techniques to identify new trends and relationships in data.
- Develop knowledge of all relevant data resources within NewDay, and in the Credit Industry.
- Harvest, wrangle and prototype new data sources internally and external to NewDay to drive value for NewDay and our customers.
- Master standard ML modelling algorithms and development methodologies.
- Researching, testing and recommending new algorithms or products in the Data Science stack as these fast moving technologies develop, keeping Newday at the forefront of innovation.
- Present approach and output to stakeholders, adapting the level of detail as appropriate.
- Governance: Support the management of models through appropriate sign-off including selling the model into the business, support accurate and timely implementation of models developed including UAT, and full documentation of final models. Ensure effective scorecard monitoring is in place.
- Leadership: Expected to provide mentoring support to junior analysts within the Decision Science team and help contribute to the wider team’s deliverables as well as own deliverables.
- Partner Management: Enhance relationships with internal and external partners to ensure effective feedback loop and execution of the strategies.
- End to end Data Science products ownership
Skills and Experience
- At least MSc in data science related field. (e.g. machine learning, statistics, mathematics)
- 5+ years of hands on experience in machine learning, building datasets, selecting and engineering features, building and optimizing algorithms
- 5+ years of experience applying Data Science to business problems (ideally credit) in a corporate environment
- Experience in mentoring Junior Data Scientists
- Proficiency in machine learning techniques
- Proficiency with open source analytic coding such as Python or R
- Proficiency in statistical techniques
- Experience in data visualisation and communication
- Experience with statistics/machine learning packages such as Spark MLlib, Python (scikit-learn, pandas, numpy, scipy, Matplotlib), Keras, TensorFlow, PyTorch etc.
- Good SQL/data manipulation skills required including cleaning and managing data;
- Experience with integration of data from multiple data sources and data munging
- Analytical and problem solving skills
- Enthusiastic self-learner keeping up with latest techniques, technology and market trends
- Experience in working in a product/agile environment
- Experience of tools such as Trello or Jira
- Presentational skills and experience in dealing with senior stakeholders
- Experience in model deployment
- Knowledge of Big Data querying tools
- Passionate about modelling and other techniques to drive value from big data
- Personable, credible, with good communication skills
- Excellent interpersonal & written communication skills. Ability to present ideas in business-friendly language
- Self-motivated, able to work in a high-pressure environment
- Strong organizational, planning and time management skills
- Ability to build strong and effective working relationships
- Ability to embrace company culture and embed into day-to-day interactions
- Strong sense of accountability and ownership
- Ability to adapt in an environment where priorities evolve.
- Self-starter and eager to learn and develop skills
- Strong sense of ownership and accountability
- Team player
Advertised: GMT Standard Time
Applications close: GMT Standard Time
Back to search results Apply now