Health Sciences Librarian
The College at Brockport
Drake Memorial Library at The College at Brockport, State University of New York is seeking a Health Sciences Librarian. The Health Sciences Librarian at Drake Memorial Library will be responsible for providing research and instruction support to the health science and allied health programs at the college. This is a 12 month position.
- The Health Sciences Librarian at Drake Memorial Library at the College at Brockport will be responsible for communication and outreach, research support, and instruction services for Kinesiology, Sports Studies, and Physical Education, Nursing, Public Health, and Healthcare Studies.
- Works closely with health science faculty to integrate information literacy assignments into coursework.
- Plans, designs, implements, and assesses face-to-face instruction.
- Designs and creates online library-related resources and instructional materials to support curriculum in assigned disciplines.
- Responsible for collection development in assigned departments.
- Provides research assistance to students and faculty within assigned subject areas.
- Provides general and specialized reference service using multiple delivery methods to include face-to-face, chat, email, text, phone, and other online systems.
- Provides expert literature search services in a variety of databases.
- Participates in relevant library and university committees.
- Pursues a research agenda with the goal of publishing in scholarly journals and presenting at professional conferences.
- Participates in assessment and continuous improvement of operations and services.
- Helps shape department goals, plans and procedures.
- MLS/MLIS Master’s degree form an American Library Association accredited program.
- Education or experience in health science, allied health, or health professions.
- Ability to work collaboratively and effectively in a collegial and diverse environment.
- Academic library experience.
- Experience and knowledge with library instruction and reference work in Health Sciences and/or Health Professions.
- Experience with developing health science or health profession collections.
- Strong public service orientation.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
Drake Memorial Library at The College at Brockport supports the scholarship of the campus by providing, supporting, and enhancing integrative access to collections, scholarly communication, learning spaces, and tools. The library employees 12 librarians and 10 staff members to provide academic support to the College community.
The College and Region
The College at Brockport, State University of New York, serves a diverse student body of over 7,100 undergraduate and 1,100 graduate students enrolled in 50 undergraduate majors and more than 50 masters’ programs, teacher certification programs and advanced graduate certificates supported by more than 750 instructional faculty and professional staff. The College is an inclusive learning community that inspires excellence through growth, engagement, and transformation.
The College is located along the famous Erie Canal, in the village of Brockport in western New York State, a region known for its low cost of living and stable housing market. The College benefits from a small-town atmosphere, even while located near major metropolitan cities. Brockport is:
- 16 miles west of the city of Rochester, which is the home of the Rochester Institute of Technology, the University of Rochester, the Eastman School of Music, the Strong National Museum of Play, and the Rochester Red Wings AAA baseball franchise;
- 45 miles east of Buffalo, which is the home of the University of Buffalo, the Bills NFL franchise, and the Sabres NHL franchise;
- 75 miles from Niagara Falls USA, which features the American, Horseshoe and Bridal Veil Falls;
- 140 miles from Toronto, the largest city in Canada and the home of the University of Toronto; and
- 350 miles from the many attractions of New York City.
The area features a number of technology companies, including Paychex, Xerox, and Kodak, and other large companies such as Wegmans and Excellus. Rochester and its suburbs feature some of the highest-quality public, private, parochial, and charter schools in New York State. The region is known for its natural beauty, including Lake Ontario, the Genesee River (with three major waterfalls in Letchworth State Park), and the Finger Lakes region with its notable vineyards and wineries.
Salary and Benefits
Competitive salary commensurate with experience. We offer an excellent benefits package that includes medical, dental, vision, life, and disability insurances, healthcare and dependent care savings accounts.
Review of application materials will begin immediately. Preference will be given to application materials received by December 17, 2019 and application materials will continue to be accepted until the position is filled. Interested candidates should apply online at jobs.brockport.edu.
For consideration, please submit 1.) Letter of Application; 2.) CV; 3.) List of three professional references. Letter of application should specifically address the required and preferred qualifications.
New York State Executive Order 161
Pursuant to Executive Order 161, no State entity, as defined by the Executive Order, is permitted to ask, or mandate, in any form, that an applicant for employment provide his or her current compensation, or any prior compensation history, until such time as the applicant is extended a conditional offer of employment with compensation. If such information has been requested from you before such time, please contact the Governor’s Office of Employee Relations via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer/Diversity Statement
We are part of an academic community committed to fostering integrity, civility, and justice. We affirm that the dignity of our Brockport community is protected when free speech, academic freedom and individual rights are expressed within a climate of civility and mutual respect. Striving to learn from each other, we value human diversity because it enriches our lives and it is fundamental to the College’s commitment to teaching, learning, scholarship and service leading to student success.
The College at Brockport, State University of New York is an AA/EEO/ADA employer. The College actively seeks applications from women, veterans, individuals with a disability, members of underrepresented groups or anyone that would enrich the diversity of the College.