Asst Professor AY
Job no: 510618
Work type: Teaching & Research Faculty
Senior management: Natural Resources
Department: Sustainable Biomaterials
Location: Blacksburg Area, Other - U.S.
Categories: Instructional / Teaching Faculty
The Department of Sustainable Biomaterials at Virginia Tech is inviting applications for a tenure-track faculty position in bio-based materials for sustainability. The position is a full-time, academic year (9 month) appointment at the rank of assistant professor and is available immediately with a preferred start date of January 1, 2020 or earlier.
The future of life on Earth depends on a successful transition to sustainable materials. Packaging materials in particular are rapidly growing in demand due to increases in e-commerce and market globalization. The Department of Sustainable Biomaterials is transforming itself into the nation’s leading institution in material sustainability by integrating its current strengths in bio-based materials, packaging systems and design, sustainable manufacturing, sustainable business, circular economy, and green building into a holistic, comprehensive program to advance the transition to sustainable materials. The aim of this position is to increase synergy between current programmatic strengths in bio-based materials and packaging systems and design. Complementary areas of expertise that are of interest include, but are not limited to, design and synthesis of sustainable polymers, sustainable packaging technologies, bioplastics, innovative plant fiber- or nanofiber-based materials, polymer synthesis by industrial biotechnology methods, and material biodegradation.
The position duties will be approximately 50% fundamental or applied research and 50% teaching. Annual teaching responsibilities will include a minimum of two undergraduate courses and one graduate course per year once fully established. The successful candidate will be expected to:
- Obtain extramural funding, publish in quality refereed journals, participate in meetings of professional societies, and develop an internationally recognized research program in sustainable bio-based materials, processing, or technologies
- Establish productive interdisciplinary collaborations with other faculty members within the department, across campus, and at other institutions in, e.g., sustainable packaging, wood composites, plant fiber-based materials, polymer science, molecular biology, biochemistry, polysaccharide chemistry, lignin chemistry
- Develop new undergraduate or graduate courses
- Serve as graduate advisor and committee member on graduate committees
- Participate in departmental and college-level administrative committees
- Ph.D. in chemistry, polymer science, sustainable biomaterials science, wood science, chemical engineering, materials science and engineering, macromolecular science and engineering, microbiology, biochemistry, biosystems engineering, or closely related fields
- Demonstrated excellence in bio-based materials
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively at all levels in academia and externally
- Demonstrated ability or potential to collaborate with other researchers
- Postdoctoral research experience
Review of applications will begin on October 1, 2019 and continue until the position is filled.
Application materials must be submitted online at listings.jobs.vt.edu.
Applications should include the following:
- Curriculum vitae
- Brief cover letter expressing a statement of interest in the position
- Statement, not exceeding two pages, of research interests, teaching methodologies and interests, and approach to fostering a culture of inclusion and diversity
- Names, titles, and complete contact information for four references
Questions and inquiries may be addressed to Dr. Maren Roman (firstname.lastname@example.org), chair of the search committee. Individuals who desire special accommodations in the application process are encouraged to contact the hiring department or University ADA Services https://oea.vt.edu/ada-accessibility-services.html.
An official transcript for highest degree earned is required prior to the start of employment for the selected candidate.The successful Candidate will be required to have a criminal conviction check
Virginia Tech is a public land-grant university, committed to teaching and learning, research, and outreach to the Commonwealth of Virginia, the nation, and the world. Building on its motto of Ut Prosim (that I may serve), Virginia Tech is dedicated to InclusiveVT—serving in the spirit of community, diversity, and excellence. We seek candidates who adopt and practice the Principles of Community, which are fundamental to our on-going efforts to increase access and inclusion, and to create a community that nurtures learning and growth for all of its members. Virginia Tech actively seeks a broad spectrum of candidates to join our community in preparing leaders for the world.
Virginia Tech does not discriminate against employees, students, or applicants on the basis of age, color, disability, sex (including pregnancy), gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, or veteran status, or otherwise discriminate against employees or applicants who inquire about, discuss, or disclose their compensation or the compensation of other employees or applicants, or on any other basis protected by law.
If you are an individual with a disability and desire accommodation please contact the hiring department.
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend