Linux Systems Engineer
Job no: 511120
Work type: Administrative & Professional
Location: Blacksburg Area
Categories: Information Systems / Technology
The Linux Systems Engineer position provides information technology support and administration for the Virginia Cyber Range. The successful candidate will have demonstrated knowledge and experience working with all aspects of operating system and network administration, including but not limited to provisioning, installation/configuring, operation, and maintenance of both the systems and application stacks on infrastructure. The Linux Systems Engineer will be part of the Ops team; your primary responsibility is to be the subject matter expert on building, testing, and rolling-out solutions such as servers with known vulnerabilities, building virtual servers with specified detection/monitoring/attack tools in command-line and GUI environments, and other solutions to support cyber-security education. In addition to this, as a member of the Ops team, you will be trained on how to support our existing overall infrastructure that provides these virtual environments to students, occasional office support for equipment, monitoring the stability of our overall system, assisting in software development and debugging, providing “tier-3” support for complex problems, and additional duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in a STEM field from an accredited college or university and/or equivalent training and experience.
- Must have demonstrated working experience working with and managing DNS daemons and zone configurations, or controlling routing/forwarding, on a linux operating system
- Demonstrated working knowledge of deploying; managing; and operating *nix based servers
- Demonstrated experience with monitoring systems health and security to identify system failures, bottleneck, or intrusions
- Comfortable working with programming/scripting languages (e.g. Python, TypeScript, and/or Shell scripting) to automate and provide solutions to business problems.
- Ability to work independently and achieve objectives on complex projects running simultaneously and complete projects by required due dates.
- Excellent tier-3 customer service and communication skills with the ability to clearly communicate and/or simplify technical issues with customers.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Demonstrate a willingness to work for VACR and develop a long-term working relationship with us.
- Demonstrate an ability to work in a team environment and on individual projects.
- Demonstrate an ability to follow instructions.
The preferred candidate should be able to claim experience in many of the below areas:
- Experience with Linux, especially across multiple distributions and versions
- Experience modifying OS configurations or settings with and without centralized configuration management tools (e.g. Ansible, Salt, Puppet, Chef, etc.)
- Strong background in network troubleshooting, packet analysis, packet filtering, and/or firewalls.
- Experience with authentication services and processes such as LDAP, OAuth, or CAS
- Functional experience with monitoring, maintenance, and troubleshooting of http daemons such as Nginx or Apache and databases such as MySQL, MariaDB, or Postgres
- System administration or audit experience in higher education.
- Experience with cloud IaaS environments from a systems engineering perspective
The successful Candidate will be required to have a criminal conviction check
Virginia Tech is a public land-grant university, committed to teaching and learning, research, and outreach to the Commonwealth of Virginia, the nation, and the world. Building on its motto of Ut Prosim (that I may serve), Virginia Tech is dedicated to InclusiveVT—serving in the spirit of community, diversity, and excellence. We seek candidates who adopt and practice the Principles of Community, which are fundamental to our on-going efforts to increase access and inclusion, and to create a community that nurtures learning and growth for all of its members. Virginia Tech actively seeks a broad spectrum of candidates to join our community in preparing leaders for the world.
Virginia Tech does not discriminate against employees, students, or applicants on the basis of age, color, disability, sex (including pregnancy), gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, or veteran status, or otherwise discriminate against employees or applicants who inquire about, discuss, or disclose their compensation or the compensation of other employees or applicants, or on any other basis protected by law.
If you are an individual with a disability and desire accommodation please contact the hiring department.
Advertised: Eastern Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend