Director, Academy for Experiential Learning
Job no: 511444
Work type: Administrative & Professional
Senior management: Executive VP & Provost
Department: CETL-Ctr Excellence Teaching & Lear
Location: Blacksburg Area
Categories: Executive / Director / Management
Virginia Tech welcomes applications for the founding Director of the Academy for Experiential Learning in the Center for Excellence in Teaching and Learning (CETL).
The Director of the Academy for Experiential Learning, within the Center for Excellence in Teaching and Learning (CETL), works with the CETL director to provide university-wide leadership and coordinated management of professional development focused on empowering and supporting Virginia Tech faculty to develop and integrate experiential learning into programs of study. The Academy director’s responsibilities include (a) provide a comprehensive system for supporting faculty with the knowledge, skills, and tools they need to develop deep and meaningful experiential learning opportunities and embed them in students’ plans of study; (b) design, develop, implement, and evaluate professional development programs focused on advancing faculty members’ understanding, application, and implementation of effective learning-centered curriculum design aligned with the strategic vision for an experiential degree; (c) revise, strengthen, and expand experiential learning opportunities to build capacity to enable access and equity for an experiential education for ALL graduates; (d) facilitate communication and coordination with partner offices, faculty, and administrators engaged in experiential learning; (e) support the overall vision and mission of CETL through integrated leadership and support for high-quality, evidence-based teaching and learning; and, (f) lead and serve on university committees, task forces, and other groups as an advocate for high quality, integrated experiential learning; and function in a year-round (CY) academic program planning and management capacity.
1. An earned doctorate by time of appointment;
2. Experience teaching at the university level;
3. Experience teaching in an experiential learning program;
4. Experience in curriculum design;
5. Experience leading change in academic programming;
6. Knowledge of and experience applying essential principles of experiential learning in higher education; and,
7. Evidence of the ability to communicate effectively across a range of stakeholders, including faculty members, staff, administrators, students and external agencies.
1. Experience leading faculty development workshops, seminars, and/or initiatives.
2. Evidence of the ability to design, develop and lead university-wide professional development activities;
3. Experience working on a university-wide experiential learning initiative;
4. Experience with program-level student learning outcomes assessment for continuous improvement.
5. Evidence of expertise in written, spoken and/or visual communications; and,
6. Evidence of the ability to work in a collaborative atmosphere.
The successful Candidate will be required to have a criminal conviction check
Virginia Tech is a public land-grant university, committed to teaching and learning, research, and outreach to the Commonwealth of Virginia, the nation, and the world. Building on its motto of Ut Prosim (that I may serve), Virginia Tech is dedicated to InclusiveVT—serving in the spirit of community, diversity, and excellence. We seek candidates who adopt and practice the Principles of Community, which are fundamental to our on-going efforts to increase access and inclusion, and to create a community that nurtures learning and growth for all of its members. Virginia Tech actively seeks a broad spectrum of candidates to join our community in preparing leaders for the world.
Virginia Tech does not discriminate against employees, students, or applicants on the basis of age, color, disability, sex (including pregnancy), gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, or veteran status, or otherwise discriminate against employees or applicants who inquire about, discuss, or disclose their compensation or the compensation of other employees or applicants, or on any other basis protected by law.
If you are an individual with a disability and desire accommodation please contact the hiring department.
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend