Scientific Programmer & Imaging Engineer
Job no: 512152
Work type: Research Faculty
Senior management: Vice President for Research
Department: Fralin Biomedical Res. Institute
Location: Roanoke Area
Categories: Research / Scientific
The Human Neuroimaging Laboratory at the Fralin Biomedical Research Institute at VTC seeks a motivated individual as a scientific programmer for the purpose of developing models and code around atomic magnetometry approaches to brain imaging and modern statistical inference approaches to sensor function.
The successful candidate should have experience with modern programming tools and possess familiarity or expertise with neural network approaches to pattern recognition. This person will develop and maintain various utility scripts pertaining to experiment tasks and datasets. The successful candidate will provide technical leadership for systems and processes by developing innovative and creative solutions to complex challenges with the goal of advancing the field of data ingestion, storage, retrieval, transformation and analysis in support of biomedical research. Furthermore, this position will be responsible for the development of sensing capabilities not currently in existence.
• Demonstrated programming experience in R, C, MATLAB, and Python.
• Demonstrated experience building and running simulations of sensors designed to detect subatomic particles.
• Demonstrated ability to work independently on multiple deadlines with competing deadlines.
• Strong testing focus and attention to details.
• Excellent documentation, communication, presentation and interpersonal skills.
• Master's degree in a quantitative discipline (mathematics, computer science, engineering, physics) or equivalent education, training or experience.
• Knowledge of open source projects and community.
• Experience performing technical evaluations and analysis.
• Ability to identify highly complex problems, investigate them, address them, and learn from them.
Commensurate with experience
The successful Candidate will be required to have a criminal conviction check
Virginia Tech is a public land-grant university, committed to teaching and learning, research, and outreach to the Commonwealth of Virginia, the nation, and the world. Building on its motto of Ut Prosim (that I may serve), Virginia Tech is dedicated to InclusiveVT—serving in the spirit of community, diversity, and excellence. We seek candidates who adopt and practice the Principles of Community, which are fundamental to our on-going efforts to increase access and inclusion, and to create a community that nurtures learning and growth for all of its members. Virginia Tech actively seeks a broad spectrum of candidates to join our community in preparing leaders for the world.
Virginia Tech does not discriminate against employees, students, or applicants on the basis of age, color, disability, sex (including pregnancy), gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, or veteran status, or otherwise discriminate against employees or applicants who inquire about, discuss, or disclose their compensation or the compensation of other employees or applicants, or on any other basis protected by law.
If you are an individual with a disability and desire accommodation please contact the hiring department.
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend