Assistant Professor of Forest Biometrics
Job no: 512257
Work type: Teaching & Research Faculty
Senior management: Natural Resources
Department: For Resources & Environ Consrv
Location: Blacksburg Area, Other - U.S.
Categories: Instructional / Teaching Faculty
The Department of Forest Resources and Environmental Conservation at Virginia Tech invites applications for a 9-month, tenure-track, teaching and research position at the assistant professor level in Forest Biometrics. This position will support scholarship and teaching of forest biometrics, forest inventory, and sampling, as well as collaborative efforts in which these foundational concepts are connected to the science and management of forest resources.
- Teach undergraduate courses in forest biometrics, with additional opportunities to assist in teaching across a relatively broad spectrum of topics related to the forest biometrics discipline, e.g., field measurements skills, geospatial applications, growth and yield modeling, sampling, and experimental methods
- Develop and teach graduate-level coursework in forest biometrics and analytics, focusing on advanced topics including forest growth and yield modeling, forest sampling and measurements, estimation and forecasting, and the integration of complex data sets into statistical, mathematical, and computer modeling frameworks
- Develop a high quality and productive program of fundamental and applied research in forest biometrics and analytics with impacts aimed at the science and management of forest resources at local to global scales
- Collaborate with faculty and agency/industry colleagues on regionally, nationally, and/or globally relevant research that is informed by research in forest biometrics
- Provide outreach to private and public forest research and management concerns, forest landowners, industrial landowners, planners and policymakers, and/or science agencies
- Support research and graduate education programs with external grants and contracts.
- Advise/mentor undergraduate students and supervise graduate students
- Contribute to department, college, university, and external service/outreach
- Ph.D. with emphasis in forest biometrics, with strong promise for developing an outstanding program of teaching, research, and outreach
Undergraduate degree in forestry, or equivalent forestry experience/training
Commensurate with experience
The successful Candidate will be required to have a criminal conviction check
Virginia Tech is a public land-grant university, committed to teaching and learning, research, and outreach to the Commonwealth of Virginia, the nation, and the world. Building on its motto of Ut Prosim (that I may serve), Virginia Tech is dedicated to InclusiveVT—serving in the spirit of community, diversity, and excellence. We seek candidates who adopt and practice the Principles of Community, which are fundamental to our on-going efforts to increase access and inclusion, and to create a community that nurtures learning and growth for all of its members. Virginia Tech actively seeks a broad spectrum of candidates to join our community in preparing leaders for the world.
Virginia Tech does not discriminate against employees, students, or applicants on the basis of age, color, disability, sex (including pregnancy), gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, or veteran status, or otherwise discriminate against employees or applicants who inquire about, discuss, or disclose their compensation or the compensation of other employees or applicants, or on any other basis protected by law.
If you are an individual with a disability and desire accommodation please contact the hiring department.
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend