President of the Virginia Tech Corporate Research Center
Job no: 512480
Work type: Administrative & Professional
Location: Blacksburg Area
Categories: Executive / Director / Management
The President of the Virginia Tech Corporate Research Center (VTCRC) is the chief executive officer of the Corporation and is responsible for creating and implementing a bold vision that sustains the VTCRC as a dynamic enterprise advancing the innovation economy of Virginia and supporting the transfer of Virginia Tech research and discovery to the market. The President operates in a high profile role and must be capable of establishing, strengthening and expanding strong alliances with key business, public, education and economic development leaders in the region, state, country, and across the globe.
The President reports to a board of directors chaired by the Chief Executive Officer of the Virginia Tech Foundation. The President serves as a member of the Virginia Tech Foundation’s senior executive team.
PLEASE NOTE: This listing is for a position with the Virginia Tech Foundation, Inc. and is not a position with the university.
Skills and Qualifications
- Compelling leadership; the stature and presence that make an immediate statement about the quality of the VTCRC; strong speaking, writing and listening skills; the ability to influence others through words and actions and create excitement and momentum for the VTCRC.
- Effective board relations; an open communicator who can provide timely information, stimulate lively discussion, minimize conflict and implement policy initiatives.
- Strong relationship and consensus building skills; the ability to establish and strengthen relationships with:
- Faculty and the administrative leadership of Virginia Tech;
- CEOs and site executives of present and future companies located within the VTCRC;
- Elected officials and public sector staffs at federal, state and local levels;
- Economic developers and site location consultants;
- Real estate professionals;
- Investors and entrepreneurs;
- Community leaders and the general public;
- VTCRC and Virginia Tech Foundation employees; and
- Other research parks and the associations that represent them.
- Strong real estate experience; ability to conceptualize, analyze, negotiate and oversee the implementation of complex real estate development projects ideally demonstrated by experience in that capacity either in a major role in the private sector or by leadership of a quasi-public development corporation that has had responsibility for real estate development activities of significant scale; experience should include master planned environments which required infrastructure phasing and finance including financing structures which have engaged the intersection between horizontal and vertical development; mixed use experience would be a plus.
- Economic development expertise; a clear commitment to creating jobs and building the economy of Virginia; the ability to facilitate public-private initiatives toward this goal.
- Strong management skills; a proven track record of leading people and project management; both tactical and strategic planning experience; a positive history of developing and meeting budgets and goals; a comprehensive understanding of accounting processes, data analysis, and financial management; a commitment to teamwork; the ability to delegate and work with others to achieve results.
- An understanding of technology and those who create it; those who develop and market it; and, those who transfer it to commercially viable enterprises; ability to work with entrepreneurs and start-ups.
- The highest standards of ethics and integrity in all personal and professional matters; a commitment to excellence; the desire to foster civility and community.
- Seasoned intelligence; a quick study as well as a broad-gauged thinker; proclivity to think, read, speak and write about technology-driven economic development; ability to keep current on global trends affecting research parks and technology companies.
- At minimum, a master’s degree is required; doctorate degree or other professional degree is preferred.
- Experience in Virginia with business, education and government is a plus.
How to Apply
Please submit a resume, cover letter, and three professional references to the Human Resources Manager of the Virginia Tech Foundation via email at email@example.com
Please do not directly apply to this ad.
About the Virginia Tech Corporate Research Center
Nestled in the heart of Virginia’s Technology Corridor and adjacent to the Virginia Tech (VT) campus, the VTCRC is home to over 200 research, technology and support companies that currently employ over 3,300 people. Our 230-acre park is located in a beautiful mountain setting, with easy access to the metropolitan areas of northern Virginia and the nation’s capital. The VTCRC also serves as a lead partner with Tech Center, which is a 100-acre mixed-use development in Newport News (http://techcenterva.com/).
The VTCRC, established in 1985, is owned and managed by the Virginia Tech Foundation, a 501 (c)(3) nonprofit non-stock corporation established in 1948. The VTCRC strives to continually develop a prestigious research park for high-technology companies and in collaboration with the university, advance the research, educational and technology transfer missions of Virginia Tech.
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend