Executive Assistant to VP of Business Affairs
Job no: 512623
Work type: Staff
Senior management: Vice President for Business Affairs
Department: Business Affairs
Location: Blacksburg Area
Categories: Administrative / Clerical
Reporting to the Vice President of Business Affairs, the Executive Assistant performs a wide variety of activities required to provide exceptional assistance to the Vice President (VP). Primary responsibilities of the position include management of the VP’s schedule and travel arrangements, preparation for meetings and presentations, and ensuring that the Office of the Vice President for Business Affairs operates in an informed and effective manner. This individual will be expected to anticipate leadership needs and proactively solve problems and/or independently handle issues as necessary. They will manage projects as assigned by the VP, including drafting complex correspondence and presentations. They will respond to inquiries based on broad knowledge of the university. The Executive Assistant will manage and coordinate all incoming and outgoing correspondence and phone calls; Screening and routing calls and correspondence appropriately. The Executive Assistant serves as an effective liaison with on and off campus contacts and conducts the activities of the office in a professional, organized, and efficient manner, handling confidential and sensitive matters with utmost discretion. This person will use excellent judgment and decision-making to ensure the integrity and professionalism of the Office of the Vice President for Business Affairs.
- Significant experience providing executive level management administrative support in a professional environment;
- Proficient in general computer skills for word processing, email and calendar management such as MS Outlook, Word, Excel, and PowerPoint;
- Must be highly organized with the ability to manage multiple priorities and work independently in a fast paced environment;
- Demonstrated experience drafting and editing correspondence, reports, and other documents in a professional and efficient manner, including strong proof-reading skills;
- Ability to work collaboratively in a team atmosphere, to demonstrate discretion in working with confidential information and to exercise sound judgment in decision-making;
- Experience that demonstrates professional communication skills with the ability to interact effectively with all individuals in a diverse multicultural environment; and
- Demonstrated commitment to the Virginia Tech Principles of Community.
- Experience working in higher education providing administrative support for an executive or member of senior management;
- Considerable knowledge of university organizational structure, policies and procedures;
- Experience with travel arrangement and reimbursement; and/or
- Certified Administrative Professional or equivalent.
This posting will remain active until the position is filled; preference will be given to candidate submissions received by February 7, 2020.
The successful Candidate will be required to have a criminal conviction check
Virginia Tech is a public land-grant university, committed to teaching and learning, research, and outreach to the Commonwealth of Virginia, the nation, and the world. Building on its motto of Ut Prosim (that I may serve), Virginia Tech is dedicated to InclusiveVT—serving in the spirit of community, diversity, and excellence. We seek candidates who adopt and practice the Principles of Community, which are fundamental to our on-going efforts to increase access and inclusion, and to create a community that nurtures learning and growth for all of its members. Virginia Tech actively seeks a broad spectrum of candidates to join our community in preparing leaders for the world.
Virginia Tech does not discriminate against employees, students, or applicants on the basis of age, color, disability, sex (including pregnancy), gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, or veteran status, or otherwise discriminate against employees or applicants who inquire about, discuss, or disclose their compensation or the compensation of other employees or applicants, or on any other basis protected by law.
If you are an individual with a disability and desire accommodation please contact the hiring department.
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend