Associate Director Football
Job no: 512653
Work type: Administrative & Professional
Senior management: Executive VP & Provost
Department: Student - Athlete Acad Supp Serv
Location: Blacksburg Area
Reporting to the Director of Student Athlete Academic Support Services (SAASS), the Associate Director (Football) will work with colleagues in SAASS to meet the academic support needs of student athletes in the sport of football. Specifically, the Associate Director will oversee athletic academic advising for student athletes in the sport of football, supervise the Assistant Directors and Intern for football, and serve on campus committees as appointed by the Director of SAASS. This position reports directly to the SAASS Director.
Provide Administrative Oversight
1. Responsible for daily operations and supervision of Assistant Directors and Intern working with the sport of Football.
2. Provide academic support for student athletes in assigned sport of Football and an Olympic sport.
3. Assist all assigned student athletes with academic, personal, and career development.
4. Monitor assigned student athletes academic performance.
5. Monitor daily and evening study hall requirements for student athletes.
6. Work with coaches, academic advisors, and other University constituents to facilitate success of assigned student athletes.
7. Assist in determining GPA and hours required to sustain eligibility for continued enrollment and/or for competition.
8. Monitor class schedules of assigned student athletes and help to resolve any problems or conflicts.
9. Collaborate with Departmental Academic Advisors to ensure that academic advising leads to meeting the student’s academic goals, graduation, and satisfaction of all ACC and NCAA continuing academic eligibility standards.
10. Maintain regularly contact with faculty of student athletes after progress grade reports are returned to insure that students are complying with corrective measures.
11. Provide appropriate referrals to deans, course advisors, and other campus resources.
Monitor Eligibility of Assigned Student Athletes
1. Work on issues related to eligibility of all student athletes and on the transfer process for transfer student athletes.
2. Work with SAASS staff to resolve eligibility issues/concerns/needs.
3. Collaborate with Athletic Compliance and University Registrar on matters that pertain to student athlete eligibility.
4. Communicate eligibility issues/concerns/needs with appropriate parties.
Participate in Recruiting Student Athletes
1. Assist in all facets of the recruiting process for football student athletes.
2. Arrange meetings with Academic Deans, Department Heads, Faculty Advisors for recruits in the assigned sports.
3. Assist with presentations regarding SAASS to recruits and families during recruiting visits.
4. Establish contact with each incoming freshman student athlete before or on their scheduled orientation day. Facilitate a summer athletics orientation for football student athletes.
Conduct Assessment and Evaluation
1. Develop assessment methodologies for all areas of responsibility; conduct evaluations; recommend and implement improvements as appropriate.
2. Oversee distribution of all reports to the proper offices and/or agencies. 3. Oversee distribution of game and travel schedules for assigned sports to appropriate persons.
4. Assist in data collection and preparation of Institutional, NCAA, ACC and other requested reports.
5. Prepare weekly and monthly reports for appropriate areas of assignment.
Oversee Accurate and Timely Record Keeping
1. Keep accurate and up to date records of interactions with assigned student athletes.
2. Maintain active and inactive files on assigned student athletes with documentation of all contacts, copies of academic success plans (where appropriate) and copies of grade reports.
3. Keep up to date copies of all student schedules and grade reports for official reports and information to other offices.
4. Support, enforce and ensure compliance with all federal, state, University, NCAA, ACC and departmental policies and regulations.
Perform other duties as assigned by SAASS Director, include an area of administrative oversight.
Requires evening and weekend hours.
Earned Master's degree
Experience in counseling and advising students.
Demonstrated ability to effectively interact with individuals from various social, cultural, economic and educational backgrounds.
Ability to work collaboratively and effectively with many constituencies, and able to work in a time sensitive and occasionally pressured environments.
Demonstrated ability to provide effective oversight of professional staff.
Demonstrated ability to exercise sound judgment and handle confidential information with discretion and according to the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) guidelines.
Experience advising and working with collegiate student athletes.
Experience advising football student athletes within the Power Five athletic conference level.
Extensive knowledge of NCAA rules and regulations.
Experience in the use of technology to accomplish academic or administrative tasks, such as EAB, and Teamworks.
Higher education and/or college athletics experience.
The successful Candidate will be required to have a criminal conviction check
Virginia Tech is a public land-grant university, committed to teaching and learning, research, and outreach to the Commonwealth of Virginia, the nation, and the world. Building on its motto of Ut Prosim (that I may serve), Virginia Tech is dedicated to InclusiveVT—serving in the spirit of community, diversity, and excellence. We seek candidates who adopt and practice the Principles of Community, which are fundamental to our on-going efforts to increase access and inclusion, and to create a community that nurtures learning and growth for all of its members. Virginia Tech actively seeks a broad spectrum of candidates to join our community in preparing leaders for the world.
Virginia Tech does not discriminate against employees, students, or applicants on the basis of age, color, disability, sex (including pregnancy), gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, or veteran status, or otherwise discriminate against employees or applicants who inquire about, discuss, or disclose their compensation or the compensation of other employees or applicants, or on any other basis protected by law.
If you are an individual with a disability and desire accommodation please contact the hiring department.
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend