Market Research Analyst
Job no: 512687
Work type: Administrative & Professional
Senior management: Executive VP & Provost
Department: National Capital Region Operations
Location: Greater Washington, D.C., Metro Area
Categories: Data Analytics / Security, Other
This position will focus on helping Virginia Tech navigate the competitive landscape in the greater Washington DC metro area, working with academic and operational program leads including academic deans, associate deans, continuing & professional development, and program coordinators to identify relevant domestic and global trends, threats, and opportunities for program development and investment. Based in northern Virginia, the analyst will be affiliated with both the regional operations office and the office of the Vice Provost for Learning Systems Innovation and Effectiveness (LSIE) in Blacksburg, with a matrixed reporting relationship to the Senior Director, NCRO, and the acting Vice Provost for LSIE. The analyst will provide careful analysis of data from various sources (proprietary, regional, state, federal, and international), program/division plans & data, community surveys, and other data sources to assess, make recommendations about, and assess program plan justifications, program development, or program divestment strategies and plans.
In addition, this position may propose, participate in, lead, and/or facilitate workgroups, brainstorming sessions, focus groups, environmental scanning activities, and policy/process review.
• Create client-ready deliverables on a variety of market research topics with minimal guidance or oversight
• Analyze complex research requests to provide actionable recommendations and key findings
• Manage tight deadlines to create reports requiring few edits quickly
• Collect and analyze research data from surveys and other primary sources
• Compile online sources from relevant databases to support recommendations and insights
• Conduct in-depth interviews with but not limited to industry experts, member customers, competitors, competitor customers, or anyone relevant to our research
• Other research special projects as needed
• Master’s degree in statistics, data analytics, economics or similar
• Experience writing and researching for a business or professional audience
• Demonstrated ability using data analytics and visualization tools (e.g., SAS, Tableau, SQL, R, Python, SPSS, etc.)
• Strong command of primary, secondary, and quantitative methodologies and procedures including data collection and statistical analysis.
• Willingness to tackle complex, often unfamiliar research requests
• Ability to work quickly and independently with minimal guidance or oversight
• Ability to work under pressure and multitask in a fast-paced environment
• Ability to accept feedback and constructive criticism positively
• Demonstrable problem-solving skills
• Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail
• Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
• Experience and comfort in cultivating relationships with teams, clients, and colleagues of diverse backgrounds.
• Extremely strong and demonstrable work ethic
• Excellent writing and presentation skills
• High comfort level with Microsoft Office applications, such as MS Word, MS Excel, and MS PowerPoint.
• Experience in an undergraduate or graduate research role (institutional research, assessment, etc.)
• Workforce development, business incubator or similar experience, or similar
• Experience with organizational innovation
• Academic program review experience
• Applied market research experience
The successful Candidate will be required to have a criminal conviction check
Virginia Tech is a public land-grant university, committed to teaching and learning, research, and outreach to the Commonwealth of Virginia, the nation, and the world. Building on its motto of Ut Prosim (that I may serve), Virginia Tech is dedicated to InclusiveVT—serving in the spirit of community, diversity, and excellence. We seek candidates who adopt and practice the Principles of Community, which are fundamental to our on-going efforts to increase access and inclusion, and to create a community that nurtures learning and growth for all of its members. Virginia Tech actively seeks a broad spectrum of candidates to join our community in preparing leaders for the world.
Virginia Tech does not discriminate against employees, students, or applicants on the basis of age, color, disability, sex (including pregnancy), gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, or veteran status, or otherwise discriminate against employees or applicants who inquire about, discuss, or disclose their compensation or the compensation of other employees or applicants, or on any other basis protected by law.
If you are an individual with a disability and desire accommodation please contact the hiring department.
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend