Research Associate, Intelligent Systems Lab, Hume Center
Job no: 512873
Work type: Research Faculty
Senior management: Vice President for Research
Department: Hume Center
Location: Greater Washington, D.C., Metro Area
Categories: Research / Scientific
The Ted and Karyn Hume Center for National Security and Technology at Virginia Tech is a University level research center that reports to the Vice President of Research and Innovation. Its mission is to cultivate the next generation of national security leaders by developing and executing curricular, extracurricular, and research opportunities to engage students. One of the fastest growing research centers at VT, sponsors and collaborators benefit from both highly-experienced student talent and senior technical leadership that address some of our nation’s greatest security challenges. The Hume team executes research on behalf of a range of national security research sponsors, including Government agencies and industry.
This position is based in Northern Virginia and part of the Hume Center’s Intelligent Systems Lab. Successful candidates will have relevant experience in one or more of the following areas: machine learning algorithm research and development, particularly using leading deep learning frameworks such as Keras, TensorFlow, and PyTorch; statistical analysis and numerical computing with tool sets such as MATLAB and similar Python libraries; digital signal processing and digital communications development, particularly with software defined radio or GPU algorithm acceleration in Linux.
Specific responsibilities include the following: (1) support the execution of university sponsored programs by conducting research and development; (2) author technical documents and publish peer-reviewed academic papers; (3) support the development of new funded research programs by participating in proposal teams and supporting the business development activities; and (4) provide mentorship to students and junior researchers working on programs; and Senior Research Associates: (5) leading program development efforts and serving as principal investigator on research efforts; and (6) serve in a supervisory capacity for students and junior researchers.
• An earned Master's degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Mathematics, Physics, Statistics or related discipline; or an earned Bachelor's Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering, or related discipline and significant related experience
• Proficiency with the tools germane to field of research
• Demonstrated ability to work as a member of a team in executing upon research projects
• Experience with conducting research and development
• Evidence of high potential for excellence in research and development as demonstrated through academic study or experience
Senior Research Associate, Research Scientist and Senior Research Scientist:
• An earned Doctorate degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Mathematics, Physics, Statistics or related discipline; or an earned Master's degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Mathematics, Physics, Statistics or related discipline and significant related experience
• Experience serving as a principal investigator in a research and development environment and demonstrated leadership in developing and executing research programs
• Demonstrated excellence in research and development
• Demonstrated excellence in the leadership of a portfolio of research and development programs
• Experience in providing research leadership to programs in these areas.
• Active security clearance, particularly at the TS/SCI level
• Interest and/or experience in working effectively with a diverse faculty, staff and student population
• Experience working in an academic environment
• Experience conducting research programs supporting the federal government.
Commensurate with experience.
The successful Candidate will be required to have a criminal conviction check
Virginia Tech is a public land-grant university, committed to teaching and learning, research, and outreach to the Commonwealth of Virginia, the nation, and the world. Building on its motto of Ut Prosim (that I may serve), Virginia Tech is dedicated to InclusiveVT—serving in the spirit of community, diversity, and excellence. We seek candidates who adopt and practice the Principles of Community, which are fundamental to our on-going efforts to increase access and inclusion, and to create a community that nurtures learning and growth for all of its members. Virginia Tech actively seeks a broad spectrum of candidates to join our community in preparing leaders for the world.
Virginia Tech does not discriminate against employees, students, or applicants on the basis of age, color, disability, sex (including pregnancy), gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, or veteran status, or otherwise discriminate against employees or applicants who inquire about, discuss, or disclose their compensation or the compensation of other employees or applicants, or on any other basis protected by law.
If you are an individual with a disability and desire accommodation please contact the hiring department.
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend