Business Intelligence Analyst
Job no: 513679
Work type: Administrative & Professional
Senior management: Vice Pres Advancement
Department: University Development
Location: Blacksburg Area
Categories: Data Analytics / Security, Executive / Director / Management
Reporting to the Data Reporting Manager, the Business Intelligence Analyst will be an integral member of the Advancement Division Data Reporting Team. The Analyst will serve the division in the advancement of departmental objectives and strategic development and alumni relations initiatives, with a particular focus on the design, implementation, and support of new reporting capabilities and technologies. Primary job responsibilities include:
- Understand and prepare raw data, apply data models using statistical methods and algorithms, and then extract and communicate useful results in easily digestible formats.
- Provide business intelligence, reporting and analytics in support of broader strategic priorities using internal and external data sources via available reporting and analytics platforms.
- Use innovative and proactive approaches in reporting, analysis and visualizations.
- Develop custom reports and dashboards and researching new and developing business intelligence technologies, tools and techniques.
- Independently research and develop ‘proof of concept’ solutions to demonstrate benefits of new technologies and/or complex forecasting models and constituent behavioral models.
- Maintain proficiency in cutting edge analytical techniques and tools.
- Oversee the deployment of data to the data warehouse by creating and deploying ETL packages.
- Develop and embed dashboards and various visualizations within Blackbaud CRM and work with clients to determine business requirements, priorities and key performance indicators.
- Participate in activities related to the integration of Blackbaud CRM with other platforms.
- Participate in the work stream planning process including inception, technical design, development, testing and delivery of BI solutions.
Additionally, the Analyst will be assisting with various priorities driven by a technology product initiative within the Advancement division, providing the ideal candidate with the opportunity to solve new challenges and initiating new processes that will result in a broader university wide impact.
The Business Intelligence Analyst communicates with the Data Reporting Manager and/or Director of Information Systems regarding deliverables, progress and quality and helps spread and share technical skills with others in the organization.
Master’s degree in information technology, information systems, business administration or related field.
One year experience using business intelligence/analytics tools (e.g. SQL, SAS, R, Python, MicroStrategy, Microsoft Power BI, Tableau).
One year experience working with complex data in a relational database environment.
One year experience creating and managing MS SQL Server Reporting Services (SSRS) reports, SQL Server Analysis Services (SSAS) and SQL Server Integration Services (SSIS).
One year experience with data warehousing, data mining, OLAP reporting, and/or predictive analysis.
One year programming experience with writing complex T-SQL queries. Exhibit robust object oriented programming, scripting and coding experience.
Demonstrated ability to work professionally and collaborate effectively as a productive team and/or a committee member.
Demonstrated ability to work independently, manage multiple priorities concurrently, adhere to project timelines, and exercise confidentiality when working with sensitive issues and materials.
Success in building and maintaining customer relationships at multiple levels.
Ability to understand and find appropriate applications for data and analysis results.
Excellent ability to solve problems efficiently and strong ability to learn quickly and attention to detail.
Excellent communication, critical thinking, interpersonal, and presentation skills.
Must have an in-depth understanding of the business environment and an interest in going beyond the obvious, delving into the source, the definition, philosophy, and foundational roots of a data element in order to create information.
Salary Information $81,765 yr
The successful Candidate will be required to have a criminal conviction check
Dedicated to its motto, Ut Prosim (That I May Serve), Virginia Tech pushes the boundaries of knowledge by taking a hands-on, transdisciplinary approach to preparing scholars to be leaders and problem-solvers. A comprehensive land-grant institution that enhances the quality of life in Virginia and throughout the world, Virginia Tech is an inclusive community dedicated to knowledge, discovery, and creativity. The university offers more than 280 majors to a diverse enrollment of more than 36,000 undergraduate, graduate, and professional students in eight undergraduate colleges, a school of medicine, a veterinary medicine college, Graduate School, and Honors College. The university has a significant presence across Virginia, including the Innovation Campus in Northern Virginia; the Health Sciences and Technology Campus in Roanoke; sites in Newport News and Richmond; and numerous Extension offices and research centers. A leading global research institution, Virginia Tech conducts more than $500 million in research annually.
Virginia Tech does not discriminate against employees, students, or applicants on the basis of age, color, disability, sex (including pregnancy), gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, or veteran status, or otherwise discriminate against employees or applicants who inquire about, discuss, or disclose their compensation or the compensation of other employees or applicants, or on any other basis protected by law.
If you are an individual with a disability and desire accommodation please contact the hiring department.
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend