Student Life Coordinator
Job no: 513894
Work type: Administrative & Professional
Senior management: Vice President for Student Affairs
Department: Student Affairs - Assoc. VP
Location: Blacksburg Area
Categories: Student Affairs / Services
Virginia Tech is currently home to three residential colleges: the Honors Residential Commons, Leadership and Social Change Residential College, and Residential College at West Ambler Johnston. Planning is underway for our fourth residential college. Meaningful and sustained relationships with faculty, staff, and peers are integral to the experience as students pursue learning together. Residential colleges provide the space for students to live in an intellectually, culturally, and socially rich setting; they seek self motivated, lifelong learners, with diverse interests, who will build a community of scholars in the spirit of Virginia Tech's motto, Ut Prosim (That I May Serve).
Residential colleges have a rich history, starting with their origins in the Middle East and later in the United Kingdom and now throughout the United States. The residential college model varies from campus to campus and for Virginia Tech, a residential college is:
- Multidisciplinary. They are not grounded in one academic major/discipline, rather they are open to any academic major at Virginia Tech.
- Multigenerational. We believe rich learning and mentoring occurs when students from all years (first year through graduate) interact with each other and faculty and staff. Residential Colleges serve to enhance the intellectual ethos of the community while providing a close knit community experience/sense of belonging.
- Led by a live-in faculty principal and supported by a live-in student affairs professional.
- Based on a shared governance system with junior fellows (undergraduate members) and senior fellows (faculty principal, affiliated faculty and administrators).
- Has regular traditions that create a rhythm of life in the college for its members. (Community traditions/events occur at the same time each week).
The Student Life Coordinator (SLC) is a live-in position that will:
- Play a critical role in making sure that peer, administrative, and faculty relationships are cultivated and sustained throughout the residential community.
- Collaborate with the Faculty Principal, a live-in faculty member charged with providing direction to the college, to ensure their efforts to enhance the intellectual climate of the college are successful.
- Educate students on the policies and procedures and assist faculty in the development of the programmatic structure are methods that will be relied upon to carry out the college's mission
- Focus on individual student engagement and support, facilitated by paraprofessional staff that are hired, trained, supervised and evaluated by the SLC.
- Perform administrative duties congruent with maintaining community standards, and occupancy management
Master's degree in college student affairs or related field conferred by time of appointment to position. The successful candidate should also demonstrate the ability to work with a diverse student body and foster sensitivity to diversity issues in the University community.
Some full time work experience in residence life or operations; staff supervision experience; experience working with faculty in a variety of settings; experience with training and teaching; experience with budgets
The successful Candidate will be required to have a criminal conviction check
Dedicated to its motto, Ut Prosim (That I May Serve), Virginia Tech pushes the boundaries of knowledge by taking a hands-on, transdisciplinary approach to preparing scholars to be leaders and problem-solvers. A comprehensive land-grant institution that enhances the quality of life in Virginia and throughout the world, Virginia Tech is an inclusive community dedicated to knowledge, discovery, and creativity. The university offers more than 280 majors to a diverse enrollment of more than 36,000 undergraduate, graduate, and professional students in eight undergraduate colleges, a school of medicine, a veterinary medicine college, Graduate School, and Honors College. The university has a significant presence across Virginia, including the Innovation Campus in Northern Virginia; the Health Sciences and Technology Campus in Roanoke; sites in Newport News and Richmond; and numerous Extension offices and research centers. A leading global research institution, Virginia Tech conducts more than $500 million in research annually.
Virginia Tech does not discriminate against employees, students, or applicants on the basis of age, color, disability, sex (including pregnancy), gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, or veteran status, or otherwise discriminate against employees or applicants who inquire about, discuss, or disclose their compensation or the compensation of other employees or applicants, or on any other basis protected by law.
If you are an individual with a disability and desire an accommodation, please contact Matt Kwiatkowski at firstname.lastname@example.org during regular business hours at least 10 business days prior to the event.
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend