Project Engineer - VTTI
Job no: 516764
Work type: Research Faculty
Senior management: Vice President for Research
Department: Virginia Tech Transportation Instit
Location: Blacksburg Area
Categories: Engineering, Research / Scientific, Transportation
There are jobs. Then there are careers that foster you to be a force for good in the world. The Virginia Tech Transportation Institute (VTTI) is a world-leading safety research center working with car companies, suppliers, and government agencies to bring about the safe development and deployment of automated vehicles on our roadways. Transportation is under transformation, so every day we are approaching problems differently to make a difference in the world (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nj4VWviw5JA).
VTTI seeks qualified, ambitious Senior Research associates and Research Associates interested in answering complex questions surrounding automated vehicle systems. The candidate should be an experienced engineer capable of working independently and with multidisciplinary teams to improve transportation safety through cutting-edge research. We are building a highly capable team with experience and interests in transportation-related areas such as automated vehicle systems, connected vehicle systems and related technologies (DSRC, C-V2X, 5G), infrastructure technology (smart cities), micromobility solutions, and vulnerable road users.
The candidate should have an aptitude for working with complex technological systems, applying appropriate data analysis techniques, developing robust solutions, and interpreting and communicating results.
The candidate will contribute to all phases of transportation research projects, including:
- Project conceptualization and design during the technical proposal development phase
- Product research and evaluation
- Project execution and management, including interfacing with internal teams, external customers, leading hands-on data collection, data analysis, and managing project timelines and budget
- Project closeout activities including final deliverable development and sponsor presentations.
The candidate will be empowered to independently lead research projects with demonstrated success over time, providing key opportunities for advancement and career growth.
Senior Research Associates will be expected to conceptualize, design and initiate research projects, manage projects including priority setting, budget monitoring, problem solving and report submissions. They may supervise other team members an are expected to be able to conduct quality research under limited supervisor using standard and non-standard procedures. They should be able to capably interpret findings and present results.
Research Associates will be expected to provide input into the design and initiation of research. They are expected to make contributions toward the preparation of budgets, but will have limited responsibility or authority in the project management process. Work will be supportive in nature and contribute to the overall program/project success. They may supervise junior level team members and student employees as assigned.
• Senior Research Associate level will require a Ph. D. in engineering or related technical field. Candidates with a lesser degree and significant experience in lieu of master’s degree will also be considered
• Research Associate level will require a Master’s degree in engineering or related technical field. Candidates with a lesser degree and significant experience in lieu of master’s degree will also be considered
• Demonstrable experience in transportation research or equivalent experience within a related field
• Firm understanding of engineering principles needed to analyze, verify, and interpret technology and safety research.
• Experience participating in cross-functional teams
• Ability to work independently in a fast-paced and rapidly changing environment
• Ability to manage, influence, negotiate, and communicate with external business partners and internal teams to meet project goals
• Strong written and verbal communication skills
• Familiarity with automated vehicle systems and connected infrastructure (e.g., smart cities technologies)
• Proficient in data collection, processing, and statistical analysis (e.g., Matlab, SAS, R, Python, etc).
• Project Management experience, qualified to lead project teams and oversee project schedule, budgets, and deliverables.
• Experience with technical proposal development
• Some programming background
Commensurate with Experience
There are multiple openings connected with this recruitment announcement.
The successful Candidate will be required to have a criminal conviction check.
Dedicated to its motto, Ut Prosim (That I May Serve), Virginia Tech pushes the boundaries of knowledge by taking a hands-on, transdisciplinary approach to preparing scholars to be leaders and problem-solvers. A comprehensive land-grant institution that enhances the quality of life in Virginia and throughout the world, Virginia Tech is an inclusive community dedicated to knowledge, discovery, and creativity. The university offers more than 280 majors to a diverse enrollment of more than 36,000 undergraduate, graduate, and professional students in eight undergraduate colleges, a school of medicine, a veterinary medicine college, Graduate School, and Honors College. The university has a significant presence across Virginia, including the Innovation Campus in Northern Virginia; the Health Sciences and Technology Campus in Roanoke; sites in Newport News and Richmond; and numerous Extension offices and research centers. A leading global research institution, Virginia Tech conducts more than $500 million in research annually.
Virginia Tech does not discriminate against employees, students, or applicants on the basis of age, color, disability, sex (including pregnancy), gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, or veteran status, or otherwise discriminate against employees or applicants who inquire about, discuss, or disclose their compensation or the compensation of other employees or applicants, or on any other basis protected by law.
If you are an individual with a disability and desire an accommodation, please contact (Lisa Eichelberger) at (email@example.com) during regular business hours at least 10 business days prior to the event.
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend