Job no: 517434
Work type: Hourly Wage/Part-Time
Senior management: Executive VP & Provost
Department: National Capital Region Operations
Location: Washington, D.C., Metro Area
Categories: Facilities / Skilled Trades, Other
The Facilities Assistant will work at the Virginia Tech Research Center – Arlington assisting the Facilities Manager with facility operations who has broad responsibilities for coordinating with our Property Manager, Security and Emergency Management, Access Control, and University property inventory. The Facilities Assistant will report to the Interim Senior Director and will also take direction from the Facilities Manager in coordinating their work.
Regular work hours are M-F 8am to 5pm; part-time hours within that window are flexible, contingent on the needs of the job. The Facilities Assistant is expected to focus mainly on the following tasks, with other work as assigned and as time permits.
• Maintaining common areas and conference rooms in a professional and orderly state
• Furniture inventory and database reconciliation
• Updating maintenance list for painting and other minor repairs
• Monitoring ink and paper supplies in all building copiers
• Periodic review of internal signage, including room signs, elevator door signs, building directory, and personnel information and images on each floor
• Room setup and furniture modifications
• Experience in customer service roles
• Detail oriented
• Excellent communication, time management, and organizational skills
• Ability to work independently
• The successful candidate will be required to have a criminal conviction check.
• The job will require some manual labor, including lifting up to 50 lbs, moving furniture, climbing a ladder: standing, lifting, reaching, sitting, walking, bending, pushing/pulling.
• Bachelor’s degree or equivalent
• Experience in a facility support role
• Work experience in higher education
The successful candidate will be required to have a criminal conviction check as well as documentation of COVID-19 vaccination.
Dedicated to its motto, Ut Prosim (That I May Serve), Virginia Tech pushes the boundaries of knowledge by taking a hands-on, transdisciplinary approach to preparing scholars to be leaders and problem-solvers. A comprehensive land-grant institution that enhances the quality of life in Virginia and throughout the world, Virginia Tech is an inclusive community dedicated to knowledge, discovery, and creativity. The university offers more than 280 majors to a diverse enrollment of more than 36,000 undergraduate, graduate, and professional students in eight undergraduate colleges, a school of medicine, a veterinary medicine college, Graduate School, and Honors College. The university has a significant presence across Virginia, including the Innovation Campus in Northern Virginia; the Health Sciences and Technology Campus in Roanoke; sites in Newport News and Richmond; and numerous Extension offices and research centers. A leading global research institution, Virginia Tech conducts more than $500 million in research annually.
Virginia Tech does not discriminate against employees, students, or applicants on the basis of age, color, disability, sex (including pregnancy), gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, or veteran status, or otherwise discriminate against employees or applicants who inquire about, discuss, or disclose their compensation or the compensation of other employees or applicants, or on any other basis protected by law.
If you are an individual with a disability and desire an accommodation, please contact Leah Taylor at firstname.lastname@example.org during regular business hours at least 10 business days prior to the event.
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend