Research Safety Manager
Apply now Back to search results
Job no: 522173
Work type: Administrative & Professional
Senior management: Vice President for Research
Department: Virginia Tech Transportation Instit
Location: Blacksburg, Virginia
Virginia Tech Transportation Institute (VTTI) is seeking a Safety Manager with experience in both traditional industrial safety and research conduct, including: development of research protocols, driver safety training, etc. Position is responsible for facilitating and growing the safety culture at VTTI by implementing and maintaining a comprehensive safety program that covers advanced automotive testing and supporting services (e.g., garage, office space). This is a non-traditional role in that the administration of the safety culture requires training, monitoring, and reporting for research projects that involve human volunteers that are frequently engaged in driving studies. As the “laboratory” for VTTI includes over 7 miles of roadway as well as research which occurs on public roadways, the Safety Manager will be actively engaged with researchers on protocol inception, risk assessment, and research conduct.
The successful candidate will be:
• Knowledgeable of research safety procedures/experience and testing background.
• Knowledgeable of applicable environmental health and safety requirements that are adaptable to evolving testing and organizational needs.
• Capable of conducting hazard inspections, audits, analysis, training, and record keeping in compliance with federal and state regulations and guidelines.
• Able to develop and facilitate solutions that design out hazards first and use administrative controls as a last resort to further protect VTTI employees, staff, and visitors.
• Able to develop custom safety plans for specific research projects in coordination with researchers.
The successful candidate will lead, coordinate, and facilitate safety committee meetings with VTTI’s top management and principal investigators and also coordinate with the Virginia Tech Department of Environmental Health and Safety. This role requires strong interpersonal, analytical, problem solving, and written/oral communication skills.
- Master's degree in safety engineering, safety, or related field with exception for lesser degree with commensurate experience and/or training.
- Familiarity with well-established hazard analysis techniques such as failure modes and effects analysis (FMEA), fault tree analysis (FTA), and hazard and operability analysis (HAZOP)
- Experience with system engineering processes and hazard analysis techniques to provide safety oversight to the development of safe prototype vehicles, experimental devices, and associated test protocols
- Working knowledge of the technical principles, procedures, and techniques used to achieve compliance with OSHA safety-related regulations
- Experience with implementing OSHA regulations and implementing safety and health programs
- Demonstrated experience writing and compiling standard operating procedures (SOPs)
- Experience preparing technical reports and professional correspondence
Certified Safety Professional or ability to obtain that designation within first year of employment
- Demonstrated experience in ISO programs and certification process
- Experience with functional safety (ISO 26262), Safety of the Intended Functionality (SOTIF), and/or systems-theoretic process analysis (STPA).
- Experience working with human participants/subjects.
Starting salary is $65,000, commensurate with experience
The successful candidate will be required to have a criminal conviction check.
About Virginia Tech
Dedicated to its motto, Ut Prosim (That I May Serve), Virginia Tech pushes the boundaries of knowledge by taking a hands-on, transdisciplinary approach to preparing scholars to be leaders and problem-solvers. A comprehensive land-grant institution that enhances the quality of life in Virginia and throughout the world, Virginia Tech is an inclusive community dedicated to knowledge, discovery, and creativity. The university offers more than 280 majors to a diverse enrollment of more than 36,000 undergraduate, graduate, and professional students in eight undergraduate colleges, a school of medicine, a veterinary medicine college, Graduate School, and Honors College. The university has a significant presence across Virginia, including the Innovation Campus in Northern Virginia; the Health Sciences and Technology Campus in Roanoke; sites in Newport News and Richmond; and numerous Extension offices and research centers. A leading global research institution, Virginia Tech conducts more than $500 million in research annually.
Virginia Tech does not discriminate against employees, students, or applicants on the basis of age, color, disability, sex (including pregnancy), gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, or military status, or otherwise discriminate against employees or applicants who inquire about, discuss, or disclose their compensation or the compensation of other employees or applicants, or on any other basis protected by law.
If you are an individual with a disability and desire an accommodation, please contact Lisa Eichelberger at email@example.com during regular business hours at least 10 business days prior to the event.
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend