Asst/Assoc Professor Small Animal Surgery
Apply now Back to search results
Job no: 524338
Work type: Teaching & Research Faculty
Senior management: College of Veterinary Medicine
Department: Small Animal Clinical Sciences
Location: Blacksburg, Virginia
Categories: Instructional / Teaching Faculty, Veterinary Medicine
The Department of Small Animal Clinical Sciences at Virginia Maryland College of Veterinary Medicine invites applications for a faculty position in Small Animal Surgery as either a General Surgeon or Soft Tissue Surgeon. This positions be filled as either Clinical or Tenure Track appointment with the academic rank of Assistant or Associate Professor level. Our departmental faculty include specialists in surgery, internal medicine, emergency medicine/critical care, cardiology, neurology, dermatology, ophthalmology, oncology, diagnostic imaging, anesthesiology, and primary care.
The duties of the successful applicant include participation in the teaching, service and scholarly missions of the college. The successful candidate will be responsible for primary patient care, supervision of clinical care delivered by students, interns, and residents assigned to the surgical service as well as consultation to clients and referring veterinarians. The applicant will also be responsible for a reasonable amount of after-hours surgical emergencies, which is equally divided between the surgery service members. The applicant must be committed to excellent patient management, client service, and clinical teaching. The successful applicant is also expected to participate in didactic teaching of veterinary students including instruction within a dynamic and interactive new curriculum along with clerkship training in small animal surgery. Participation in general small animal surgery service activities, such as meetings, resident seminars, journal club and rounds is expected. The remaining effort allocation of the applicant is focused on research and scholarly activity and the distribution depends on whether it is clinical or tenure track.
An interest for teaching and collaborative research is strongly encouraged. An ability and interest in fostering diversity in the curriculum and department is also very desirable. The candidate will also be expected to occasionally travel to attend professional conferences and meetings.
• Generous retirement contributions by the institution
• Student loans payment support
• Paid moving expenses
• Negotiable percentage of time allocated for clinical service, teaching, and research
• Salary will be competitive and commensurate with the candidate’s experience and qualifications.
• 24 days per year of leave and carry over of up to 288 hours per year.
• Twenty-six weeks (1,040 hours) of personal sick leave upon hire. Ten days can be used for family sick.
• Paid parental leave (320 hours) used for birth, adoption, foster or custodial placement of a child and is available up to 6 months from date of event. Can be used in addition to other leave. Must have been employed for 12 consecutive months.
• Thousands of Hokie discounts managed by PerkSpot
• More details found at https://www.hr.vt.edu/benefits.html
• DVM or equivalent foreign degree by appointment start date.
• Successful completion of an approved residency training program by the American College of Veterinary Surgeons (ACVS) or the European College of Veterinary Surgeons (ECVS) by appointment start date.
• Excellent Communication skills and interpersonal interactions
• Must be eligible for a Virginia faculty veterinary license by appointment start date.
• Occasional travel to attend professional conferences and meetings
• Demonstrated commitment to Diversity and Inclusion
**The successful candidate will be required to have a criminal background check
• American College of Veterinary Surgeons (ACVS) or the European College of Veterinary Surgeons (ECVS) Diplomate status
• Advanced clinical experience
• Experience in teaching
• Track record of scholarly activity
Commensurate with experience
The successful candidate will be required to have a criminal conviction check.
Dedicated to its motto, Ut Prosim (That I May Serve), Virginia Tech pushes the boundaries of knowledge by taking a hands-on, transdisciplinary approach to preparing scholars to be leaders and problem-solvers. A comprehensive land-grant institution that enhances the quality of life in Virginia and throughout the world, Virginia Tech is an inclusive community dedicated to knowledge, discovery, and creativity. The university offers more than 280 majors to a diverse enrollment of more than 36,000 undergraduate, graduate, and professional students in eight undergraduate colleges, a school of medicine, a veterinary medicine college, Graduate School, and Honors College. The university has a significant presence across Virginia, including the Innovation Campus in Northern Virginia; the Health Sciences and Technology Campus in Roanoke; sites in Newport News and Richmond; and numerous Extension offices and research centers. A leading global research institution, Virginia Tech conducts more than $500 million in research annually.
Virginia Tech does not discriminate against employees, students, or applicants on the basis of age, color, disability, sex (including pregnancy), gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, or military status, or otherwise discriminate against employees or applicants who inquire about, discuss, or disclose their compensation or the compensation of other employees or applicants, or on any other basis protected by law.
If you are an individual with a disability and desire an accommodation, please contact Demetria Harris at email@example.com during regular business hours at least 10 business days prior to the event.
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend