Assistant Contracting Officer
Apply now Back to search results
Job no: 524520
Work type: Staff
Senior management: VP for Finance
Location: Blacksburg, Virginia
Categories: Business / Accounting / Finance, Other, Grants / Contracts
Reporting to the Associate Director of Procurement for Capital Construction (“AD”), the Assistant Contracting Officer (“ACO”) will, under supervision of the AD, draft, negotiate, and execute numerous types of small balance agreements (including change orders/modifications) relating to professional, construction or other goods and services with broad range of vendors ensuring proposed language and terms mitigate risks to Virginia Tech; support the AD and Contracting Officers with construction related capital procurements and associated contracting, reporting, and records management; perform detailed electronic record keeping functions. The position will support the evaluation of proposals with an emphasized goal of issuing formal contracts for services that represent the best value for the university. The position will review and enforce the contractual obligations of the contracts or projects from inception to completion. This position shall also be the department liaison for small, woman-owned and minority-owned (“SWaM”) business outreach; responsible for enhancing strategic contractual relationships to improve SWaM engagement; identifying SWaM business opportunities; and quarterly and yearly SWaM reporting.
- Bachelor’s degree in Business, Economics, Supply Chain, Construction or related field, or education and/or equivalent work experience in procurement, contracting or contract administration.
- Understanding of the procurement and contracting of products and contract services.
- Experience in contract administration including contract modifications, renewals, contract performance evaluations, and mitigating contractual disputes
- Proficient with MS Office Suite in a Windows operating system environment.
- Demonstrated record of being highly organized, responsive and detail oriented.
- Strong comprehension of business principles, math, and administrative practices.
- Ability to collaborate well within a division, learn quickly, and exhibit excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to obtain the Virginia Construction Contracting Officer (“VCCO”) certification within 24 months of appointment.
- Experience with construction, project management and/or procurement and contracting methods for design and construction related services for building design and construction related services.
- Experience with various construction procurement and contracting methods including Design-Build, and Construction Manager at Risk or similar level of complex transactional experience.
- Experience with procurement and/or contracting of services within the public sector or highly regulated industry.
- Working knowledge of, or ability/willingness to learn, Virginia procurement and contracting practices as outlined in the Commonwealth of Virginia Construction and Professional Services Manual (CPSM), the Commonwealth of Virginia Purchasing Manual for Institutions of Higher Education and their vendors, and the Virginia Public Procurement Act.
- Virginia Construction Contracting Officer (VCCO) certification.
57,000+ Commensurate with experience
The successful candidate will be required to have a criminal conviction check.
Dedicated to its motto, Ut Prosim (That I May Serve), Virginia Tech pushes the boundaries of knowledge by taking a hands-on, transdisciplinary approach to preparing scholars to be leaders and problem-solvers. A comprehensive land-grant institution that enhances the quality of life in Virginia and throughout the world, Virginia Tech is an inclusive community dedicated to knowledge, discovery, and creativity. The university offers more than 280 majors to a diverse enrollment of more than 36,000 undergraduate, graduate, and professional students in eight undergraduate colleges, a school of medicine, a veterinary medicine college, Graduate School, and Honors College. The university has a significant presence across Virginia, including the Innovation Campus in Northern Virginia; the Health Sciences and Technology Campus in Roanoke; sites in Newport News and Richmond; and numerous Extension offices and research centers. A leading global research institution, Virginia Tech conducts more than $500 million in research annually.
Virginia Tech does not discriminate against employees, students, or applicants on the basis of age, color, disability, sex (including pregnancy), gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, or military status, or otherwise discriminate against employees or applicants who inquire about, discuss, or disclose their compensation or the compensation of other employees or applicants, or on any other basis protected by law.
If you are an individual with a disability and desire an accommodation, please contact Zach LaCroix at email@example.com during regular business hours at least 10 business days prior to the event.
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend