Trans System Operator Associate
Apply now Job No: 493551
Location: Austin, TX 78744
Categories: Operations/Maintenance (Power, Water, Transmission, Telecom), Other
Working in Transmission Operations at LCRA is working in the heart of the electric grid in Texas.
The successful candidate must demonstrate the capability to contribute to a dynamic team that is instrumental in maintaining safety of personnel, ensuring the reliability of the electric grid, driving continuous improvement, and assisting with the creation of automated solutions to solve operational challenges. This position will be promoted to Trans System Operator upon achievement of NERC certification and completion of the LCRA System Operator training program.
What you will do:
• Gains working knowledge of system operations, including general knowledge of LCRA’s transmission system, power system fundamentals, and all System Operations procedures, manuals, handbooks, plans and technology systems. Gains working knowledge of Real-Time Contingency Analysis (RTCA) and State Estimator tools and applications.
• Under supervision, monitors and controls (through SCADA) transmission and substation facilities to ensure transmission line and transformer loading within ratings. • Under supervision, maintains a reliable transmission system voltage profile with operations within first contingency limits. • Assists Transmission System Operator in restoring load and service to transmission and substation facilities, including during force majeure and mandated load shedding events. Assists Transmission System Operator in Black Start restoration activities. • Under supervision, writes/checks/issues switching orders for transmission and substation facilities consistent with the Transmission Services Safety and Health Handbook, LCRA Transmission Switching Procedures Manual, and System Operations Procedures to ensure safety of field personnel while making transmission and substation facilities available for maintenance and construction activities. • Ensures appropriate communications on all transmission events to LCRA System Operations management, LCRA Customers, and ERCOT. • Logs all activities (planned and unplanned events) in the System Operator Daily Log to provide current system status. • Monitors and reports all communication problems on RTU’s and the EMS to ensure vital communications are available for normal and emergency operations. • Utilizes one-line diagrams as a tool in writing and checking switching orders. • Assists Transmission System Operator in shedding firm load during ERCOT Energy Emergency Alert (EEA) event or any events where shedding firm load is necessary to maintain the integrity of the transmission grid and/or for the safety of personnel and equipment. • Studies and works to obtain NERC Operator Certification and ERCOT System Operator Certification. • Provides recommendations to System Operations management on operating procedures, EMS enhancements, and training topics to improve processes and procedures. • Monitors weather conditions to ensure LCRA system operations readiness during adverse weather conditions.
What qualifications you must have:
- Two or more years experience in real-time operation and control of electric transmission and/or distribution systems, transmission equipment field operations or power plant operations.
- A degree(s) in electrical engineering technology, electrical technology, electronics or relevant field may be substituted per LCRA guidelines for certain years of experience. - Fluent in the English language
What qualifications it would be nice for you to have:
What we offer you:
- Competitive salary & medical, dental, vision and legal insurance
- 401(k) match up to 8%
- Paid time off, sick leave and disability benefits
- Wellness program including wellness incentive
- Extensive learning & development program
And more - all to create a compelling and rewarding work environment.
Equal Opportunity Employer
LCRA provides equal employment opportunities and a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at LCRA are based on business need, job requirement and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, genetic information, or veteran status in accordance with applicable federal and state legal requirements governing nondiscrimination in employment.
Advertised: Central Standard Time 12/22/2020
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend