Real-Time Energy Trader Sr
Apply now Job No: 493556
Location: Austin, TX 78703
Categories: Operations/Maintenance (Power, Water, Transmission, Telecom)
At a senior level, provides leadership and performs generation portfolio monitoring, response, and intra-month energy and capacity trading. Backs up the real-time desk, managing LCRA’s generating facilities to provide reliable, efficient, and cost effective energy to customers. Provides guidance and on the job training, as well as, acts as a resource to less experienced colleagues.
Utilizes in-depth knowledge of best practices and experience in own discipline to provide and improve services.
Takes a new perspective to solve complex problems.
Works independently and receives minimal guidance.
May direct the work of other staff members.
What you will do:
• Performs and provides guidance less experienced staff regarding real-time trading and scheduling of energy and capacity to meet LCRA’s generation strategies on an as needed basis as well as part of department development schedule.
• Provides back up to the real-time desk nominating natural gas and coordinating nomination between LCRA’s power plants, gas storage facility, natural gas suppliers and pipelines, scheduling power transactions to Electric Reliability Council of Texas (ERCOT) Independent System Operator (ISO) ensuring correct and timely power transfers, and creating and submitting resource plans, bids and offers to ERCOT. • Performs complex and non-standard decision-making in all aspects of LCRA's role as a Qualified Scheduling Entity (QSE) in the monitoring and adjusting of generation controls to provide the most efficient operation of power generation units: Schedules energy, manages emergencies consisting of transmission outages such as black starts, and manages market or Grid Reliability issues such as Energy Emergency Alert (EEA) following ERCOT Protocols and Guidelines, North American Electric Reliability Corporation (NERC) Standards, LCRA Generation Desk Procedures, or other LCRA policies, as appropriate. • Performs complex and non-standard decision making regarding adjustments to short term load forecasts as well as decisions to bring additional units on-line or to take un-needed units off-line. Procures additional energy or capacity in the event of a loss of LCRA Generation or to meet LCRA's Customer Load requirements. Communicates all market and gas operation information to the Fuel & Energy Risk Management Staff. • Performs and reports all required accounting information related to energy or natural gas to other entities including energy and gas marketing companies, ERCOT and LCRA staff. • Makes decisions to switch to back-up fuel (oil) when conditions warrant maintaining reliability. • Assists with revising of GenDesk procedures as needed. • Assures compliance with all ERCOT Reliability Unit Dispatches per LCRA Compliance Procedures. • Provides assistance with internal/external audits.
What qualifications you must have:
Nine or more years of experience in control room operations, generation scheduling, real-time trading, or other business critical operations. A degree(s) in finance, economics, math, or relevant field may be substituted per LCRA guidelines for certain years of experience.
What qualifications it would be nice for you to have:
• Knowledge of the utility industry and electric market operations
• Knowledge of energy and gas scheduling • Knowledge of NERC and ERCOT operating guidelines, protocols, policies and procedures • Knowledge of power generation operations • Skill in analyzing and solving complex problems • Skill in verbal and written communication • Skill in planning, scheduling, prioritizing and coordinating work within assigned work area • Skill in communicating effectively with team members, supervision / management and external organizations under normal and emergency conditions • Skill in articulating complex, technical information to both technical and non-technical audiences • Basic skill level in office productivity applications (such as email, word processing, spreadsheets, etc.) • Ability to work in a team environment • Ability to balance competing and high priority work demands • Ability to remain alert to anticipate problems and quickly respond to problems
What we offer you:
- Competitive salary & medical, dental, vision and legal insurance
- 401(k) match up to 8%
- Paid time off, sick leave and disability benefits
- Wellness program including wellness incentive
- Extensive learning & development program
And more - all to create a compelling and rewarding work environment.
Equal Opportunity Employer
LCRA provides equal employment opportunities and a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at LCRA are based on business need, job requirement and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, genetic information, or veteran status in accordance with applicable federal and state legal requirements governing nondiscrimination in employment.
Advertised: Central Standard Time 1/05/2021
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend