Associate Director, Student Financial Services
Job no: 492805
Work type: Staff Full-time
Location: South Hadley, MA
Categories: Student Financial Services
Position Type: Staff Full-time
Hours per week: 37.5
Weeks per year: 52
Work Schedule: Monday - Friday
Department Summary & Job Purpose:
The Associate Director for Student Financial Services serves in a financial aid leadership role and is responsible for providing support for the strategic goals of Mount Holyoke College and specifically the Office of Student Financial Services. Reporting to the Director of Student Financial Services, the Associate Director joins a dynamic SFS team responsible for managing financial aid, billing, educational financing information and other related services to prospective and enrolled Mount Holyoke College students. This position requires strong interpersonal skills to support the College’s efforts in promoting student success while working in a team environment.
Core Job Duties and Responsibilities:
- Collaborate with SFS Executive Director and Director to provide leadership and management of the financial aid program and staff.
- Manage and administer one or more financial aid/SFS programs as assigned by the senior management. Program assignments are subject to change and may include regulatory compliance, operations, service and outreach, staff training and development, or other programs responsibilities as needed.
- Supervise staff; tasks include conducting performance evaluations, and training to ensure the employee has the needed resources to be successful in their role. Responsibility for the oversight of all program assignments assigned to direct reports.
- Support and contribute to enhancing the high value the office places on quality customer service, community engagement, relationship building and teamwork.
- Address complex and challenging situations with families that cannot be managed through the office’s standard procedures for customer contact.
- Engage in continuous professional development to maintain current knowledge of financial aid policies and procedures and loan servicing regulations, including industry best practices. Facilitate professional development programming for direct reports to encourage their continuous development and experience.
- Provide advice and counsel to students and families on all aspects of financial aid policy and process in an effort to ensure all aided students have a meaningful MHC educational experience
- Manage assigned caseload of students from their initial application through final awarding. The review process includes verification of all family data, resolving conflicting applicant information, adherence to federal and institutional policies in establishing a families’ share of educational costs, reviewing financial aid appeals and exercising professional judgment based on standard College policies
● Bachelor’s degree
● Minimum of 5 years of professional financial aid experience, including student counseling and financial aid file review
● Expertise in state, federal and institutional financial aid programs and compliance
● Supervisory and management experience:
o Proven positive, open, inclusive approach to staff and team management for success
o Patient and understanding with a sense of humor in a fast-paced, hardworking, student-focused environment
o Respect for individual strengths and ideas, with an emphasis on training and professional development to ensure all staff have an opportunity to excel in their assigned tasks
● Comprehensive understanding of institutional and federal methodologies
● Ability to handle deadline and programmatic pressures in a fast-paced student-centric environment
● Strong analytical skills
● Demonstrated ability to support a community of diverse perspectives and cultures in an inclusive environment
● Commitment to quality customer service for all students and their families
● Ability to work independently
● Proven team player who enjoys collaboration, is an active listener/learner, and models adaptability.
● Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
● Ability to handle confidential information and/or issues using discretion and good judgement
● Evening/weekend work and business travel may be required
● Master’s Degree
● Demonstrated public speaking skills
● In depth experience with institutional needs analysis methodology and CSS Profile strongly preferred
● PowerFAIDS experience strongly preferred
Working Conditions: ● This position is campus-based, and will require occasional evening or weekend work
Mount Holyoke College is committed to providing a safe and secure environment, supported by qualified
employees that will allow all of its students, faculty, staff and those associated with them to successfully
carry out the mission of the college. As a condition of employment, the College will conduct appropriate
background checks for all new hires. Mount Holyoke has designated the Office of Human Resources as
the office responsible for ensuring that background checks (CORI, SORI, Credit History, & Driver
Credential) are completed and utilized in the hiring process and Five College Office of Compliance and
Risk Management as the office responsible for facilitating background checks as articulated in this policy.
Special Instructions for Applicants:
Apply online by application deadline. Application materials must include 1) a cover letter summarizing
interests and qualifications, 2) a complete resume or curriculum vitae, and 3) contact information for 3
Mount Holyoke College is a women’s college that is gender diverse. The College is committed to providing equal access and opportunity in employment and education to all employees and students. In compliance with state and federal law, Mount Holyoke College does not discriminate on the basis of race, ethnicity, color, genetic information, sex, national or ethnic origin, religion, age, physical or mental disability, marital status, sexual orientation, pregnancy, gender identity or expression, ancestry, veteran or military status, or any other legally protected status under federal, state or local law. The College does not discriminate on the basis of gender in the recruitment and admission of students to its graduate program.
Mount Holyoke College is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Advertised: Eastern Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend