Department Summary & Job Purpose:
The Career Development Center at Mount Holyoke College fosters lives of intent and purpose through career curiosity, confidence, and knowledge. We support students with all aspects of career development, including exploring their interests, refining career paths, building relevant skills and connections, and gaining practical experiences. In addition to advising, resources, workshops, and jobs and internships, we facilitate connections between students and employers, alums, and other professionals to create opportunities to engage and build networks.
This full-time, 12-month position works closely with other Career Development Center’s External Relations team members to manage comprehensive employer and alum engagement efforts. The Senior Associate Director of External Relations supervises the position.
Core Job Duties and Responsibilities:
Under the supervision of the Sr. Associate Director, External Relations, the AD will facilitate the management of the Mount Holyoke College on-campus recruiting program, including:
Employer Engagement Management (70%) :
- Lead the coordination of employer events, ensuring they are effectively executed to focus on high-quality service, student-centered, and exceptional customer services to on and off-campus stakeholders.
- Create promotional materials and advertising for employer and graduate school information sessions and events.
- Advise employers on building opportunities eligible for approval on Handshake or equivalent career management platform.
- Help manage employer relations and external partnerships while maintaining and strengthening internship and job partnerships for students.
- Provide regular follow-up with employers regarding their posted opportunities.
- Works closely with the Senior Associate Director of External Relations to develop external partner guidelines and policies around engagement with Mount Holyoke College students.
- Provide expertise in Handshake or equivalent career management platform and make recommendations for optimal use of the platform to employers, campus stakeholders, and Career Development Center staff.
- Manage the approval of all job postings and employer account requests using the online recruiting platform.
- Stay abreast of recruiting & industry trends and provide training to Career Development Center staff and campus stakeholders on emerging hiring opportunities for students and recent graduates.
- Leverage the on-campus recruitment system to survey/analyze/report employer needs, develop annual reports, & promote services to employers.
Student and Stakeholder Engagement (30%) :
- Hire, train, and supervise external relations student staff.
- Serve and participate on campus, community, and professional association committees.
- Guide students on their professional development and educate them on employer legitimacy.
- Actively recruit qualified students and recent graduates for priority internship and employment opportunities.
- Act as a liaison between employers and external partners with campus partners. Other duties may be assigned.
This regular, 12-month position reports to the Senior Associate Director of External Relations and works closely with all CDC staff members. Occasional evening and/or weekend work is required. Remote work hours may be permitted for tasks that are independent in nature. Increased opportunities for remote work are typically available during January and summer break periods. Hybrid work agreements are made at the discretion of the Executive Director.
We strongly encourage Black, Indigenous, and people of color (BIPOC) candidates to apply and consider joining our Mount Holyoke College community.
• A bachelor’s degree or a comparable level of experience in a related field
• Ability to translate needs and concepts into programmatic actions promptly
• Excellent written and oral communication skills, customer focus, and attention to detail.
• Demonstrated skills in managing events, program management, and problem-solving
• Experience with staff training, supervision, and evaluation
• Professional demeanor when interacting with internal and external constituents, including employers, students, alums, staff, faculty, and trustees
• Technical proficiency including Excel/mail merge/databases
• Experience working with CRM tools and data management systems; knowledge of Handshake is a plus.
• Commitment to principles of community and diversity and the ability and desire to effectively and consistently relate to a diverse student population
• Ability to handle confidential information professionally.
• 1 to 2 years of experience in career services, talent acquisition, sales, or marketing
• Proven self-starter with the ability to manage multiple tasks and competing priorities
• Fast learner with strong organizational and time management skills
• Demonstrated strategic and innovative approach to problem-solving
• A demonstrated interest in liberal arts issues and an appreciation for the value of a liberal arts education
• Ability to communicate effectively with students, faculty, staff, and external employer partners
• Data management skills, including at least intermediate MS Excel competency and ability to learn new routines or applications.
Mount Holyoke College is committed to providing a safe and secure environment, supported by qualified employees that will allow all its students, faculty, staff, and associated with them to carry out its mission successfully. The College will conduct appropriate background checks for all new hires as a condition of employment. Mount Holyoke has designated the Office of Human Resources as the office responsible for ensuring that background checks (CORI, SORI, Credit History, & Driver Credential) are completed and utilized in the hiring process and Five College Office of Compliance and Risk Management as the office responsible for facilitating background checks as articulated in this policy.
Special Instructions for Applicants:
Apply online; application materials must include:
- A cover letter summarizing interests and qualifications
- A complete resume or curriculum vitae
- Contact information for 3 professional references
Mount Holyoke College is a women’s college that is gender diverse. The College is committed to providing all employees and students equal access and opportunity in employment and education. In compliance with state and federal law, Mount Holyoke College does not discriminate based on race, ethnicity, color, genetic information, sex, national or ethnic origin, religion, age, physical or mental disability, marital status, sexual orientation, pregnancy, gender identity or expression, ancestry, veteran or military status, or any other legally protected status under federal, state or local law. The College does not discriminate based on gender in the recruitment and admission of students to its graduate program.
Mount Holyoke College is an Equal Opportunity Employer.