Our people are central to our success.
With a global business, we offer diverse and rewarding careers. We are committed to Thiess being a company and a culture where great people can excel and where they are developed and supported to reach their highest potential.
Join our team of industry leaders – because, with us, your skills, knowledge and experience will make a difference to the benefit of our clients, communities and project partners.
With a history since 1934, Thiess is the world’s largest mining services provider. We offer the widest range of in-house surface and underground mining capabilities in leading commodities across Australia, Botswana, Canada, Chile, Indonesia and Mongolia. Every day, we optimise the mining lifecycle to create lasting value.
About the role
Thiess currently has an opportunity for an experienced Geotechnical Engineer to join the Technical Services team based at their head office in South Brisbane.
Reporting to the Principal Geotechnical Engineer, this role will provide geotechnical engineering support to manage risk, and improve operational and financial effectiveness of current projects and apply these processes to the development of new mining projects.
With the guidance of the Senior and Principal Geotechnical Engineers in this role you will be responsible for:
- Providing geotechnical support to Thiess mining projects based in Australia
- Reviewing geotechnical and geological data and preparing technical reports
- Reviewing and updating geotechnical guidelines, management plans and triggered action response plans (TARPs)
Performing geotechnical analysis to develop and refine mine design parameters for current and future projects
- Providing assistance to projects on geotechnical systems, management plans and TARPs
- Evaluating critical monitoring data and identifying and reporting deformation trends
- Driving the implementation and continued development of GIS applications for geotechnical management across Thiess projects
- Developing and maintaining a comprehensive database of geotechnical information for Thiess projects
- Conducting periodic geotechnical inspections and reports
- Preparing and delivering geotechnical training packages
- Participating in the management of geotechnical failures to ensure appropriate failure analysis is undertaken to determine root causes
To be considered for this role a tertiary qualification in geotechnical engineering or similar is required, as are the following skills and experience:
- At least two years of experience in geotechnical engineering within an open-cut mining environment
- Experience in coal mining will be highly regarded
- Proficiency in Vulcan and PointStudio (or similar mine planning and design software)
- An understanding of the appropriate geotechnical analysis method to apply for a given failure mechanism
- Proficiency with kinematic analysis methods
- Proficiency with limit equilibrium analysis methods
- Proficiency with 2D geotechnical analysis software
- A high level of proficiency in writing technical reports
Please note this role will require regular site travel.
This role will suit a mining professional who has the knowledge of mine operation regulatory and legislative requirements with an astute business insight in being able to link technical outcomes with financial results.
Our commitment to a diverse and inclusive workforce
We recognise the value of an inclusive and diverse workplace through our vision: everyone matters always.
Through this vision, we will build a community where respect, value and thoughtfulness toward each person will underpin their ability to bring their full self to work because here they will be empowered, safe and included.
How to apply
This role is an opportunity to take the next step in your career. With our culture of recognition, development, and a stimulating and satisfying work environment, there is no better time to join Thiess.
To apply for this role, please follow the below link.