Senior Animal Technologist
Job No.: 632125
Location: Clayton campus
Employment Type: Full-time
Duration: 12-month fixed-term appointment
Remuneration: $84,740 - $91,467 pa HEW Level 06 (plus 17% employer superannuation)
- Be inspired, every day
- Take your career in exciting, rewarding directions
- Be a part of an inclusive, collaborative community
There’s a certain feeling you get from working at Monash University. It’s the feeling that you’re a part of something special. Something significant. And that’s because you’re not just starting your career, or taking on a bigger challenge. You’re making a real contribution – surrounded by energetic, inspiring people who are driven to make a difference as well. Monash is a place where you’ll be able to develop your career in exciting, sometimes unexpected ways – putting you in the best possible position for a rewarding future.
The Senior Animal Technologist is responsible for the day-to-day running of a designated unit and promotes animal welfare with respect to animal production, care and experimentation. The Senior Animal Technologist provides a professional, efficient service to researchers by supplying quality animals and actively participating in and supporting research projects.
As the successful candidate you will be responsible for:
- Planning, implementing and delivering high quality laboratory animals to the biomedical research community and oversee team members in appropriate animal husbandry, care and welfare of laboratory animals
- Maintaining up-to-date specialist knowledge of new and innovative methodology, equipment, technology, data management and analysis, including implementing change to practices and training as required
- Providing supervision, advice and training to individuals within designated work unit, including planning and prioritising work, overseeing compliance with standards and protocols, monitoring quality and undertaking resource planning
- Strong knowledge, expertise and extensive practical experience with laboratory animal breeding systems, laboratory animal husbandry systems and laboratory animal techniques such as blood collection, injections, euthanasia, anaesthetic and drug administration and laboratory animal disease
- Knowledge of and ability to comply with:
- Victorian legislation: Prevention of Cruelty to Animals Act 1986 Vic and Regulations 2019
- Regulatory bodies protocol and procedures: Office of the Genetic Technology Regulator (OGTR) and DAWE (Department of Agriculture, Water and the Environment
- Industry standards: Code of Practice for the Care and Use of Animals for Scientific Purposes
- Pest Animal Species Permit
If this sounds like a position that suits your current career focus we look forward to hearing from you.
This role is a full-time position; however, flexible working arrangements may be negotiated.
Your application must address the selection criteria. Please refer to "How to apply for Monash Jobs".
Ms Tanya Lennane Operations Manager, Monash Animal Research Platform, Phenomics Australia and Monash Genomic Modification Platform (MGMP), +61 3 9902 9270 or +61 405 396 822
Senior Animal Technologist
At Monash University, the health, safety and wellbeing of our staff, students and visitors is our top priority. In accordance with the Pandemic Orders issued by the Victorian Government Health Minister, we require all staff working or placed in healthcare facilities to be fully vaccinated (boosted) against COVID-19 or have an approved medical exemption from receiving a COVID-19 vaccine in order to attend these locations.
For the latest information on COVID-19 at Monash, please visit our website.