PhD Scholarship - Marie-Faith Fiawoo Memorial Scholarship
Job No.: 635837
Location: Clayton campus
Employment Type: Full-time
Duration: Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) - 3.5-year fixed-term appointment
Remuneration: AUD $30,000 p.a. (2022 rate)
The Marie-Faith Fiawoo scholarship is a memorial PhD stipend scholarship for high calibre, ambitious students interested in completing a PhD in Materials Science and Engineering at the Faculty of Engineering, Monash University. The scholarship was established in memory of research fellow Dr Marie-Faith Fiawoo, who was tragically killed when a brick wall collapsed in March 2013.
Dr Fiawoo, a 33-year-old French national, had spent two and half years working with Professor Jianfeng Nie in a position co-funded by Rio Tinto Alcan. Her research was focused on characteristics in aluminium alloys. Successful applicants must show excellent communication and inter-personal skills, willingness to meet with Marie-Faith's family and to provide annual reports to the donors on their progress.
Am I eligible?
You must meet the following criteria:
- A bachelor's degree requiring at least four years of full-time study in a relevant field, and which normally includes a research component in the fourth year, leading to an honours 1 in a relevant field; or qualifications which in the opinion of GRC are deemed equivalent
- Applicants must commence on-shore in Australia (Clayton) within 6 weeks of receiving an offer
- Applicants must show excellent communication and inter-personal skills, willingness to meet with Marie-Faith's family and to provide annual reports to the donors on their progress
- Meet the minimum academic entry requirements and Monash English language proficiency requirements for 3291 Doctor of Philosophy
- Applicants must enrol in 3291 Doctor of Philosophy and undertake their research on a full-time basis via internal (on-campus) mode in the Department of Materials Science and Engineering at Clayton campus
- The applicant’s main supervisor must be from the Department of Materials Science and Engineering, Faculty of Engineering, Monash University
- Applicants must not be currently enrolled in a Graduate Research program
- Applicants must not have completed a graduate research masters or doctoral degree (PhD) previously or previously held a Monash University or Faculty of Engineering (Faculty, Department, or Supervisor) graduate research scholarship
- Be an Australian citizen, New Zealand citizen or an Australian permanent resident *
- Short-listed candidates may be required to participate in an interview by phone/video conference call
How to Apply
1. Check your eligibility
Before beginning the application process, make sure that you meet our entry requirements.
You can check the minimum entry requirements for the PhD or the Research Masters in the course handbook. Applicants must also satisfy Monash’s English Language Proficiency requirements.
Monash Engineering is seeking high calibre engineering students to take part in our graduate research degrees. Your application will be looked upon favourably if you:
- Graduated in the top 10% of your year level
- Graduated from a well ranked university
- Have authored peer-reviewed research publications
- Possess excellent written and verbal English skills
- Scored well in a national graduate entrance exam
2. Find a supervisor
Information on finding a supervisor can be found here.
Please note that your main supervisor must be from Materials Science and Engineering to meet the eligibility and conditions of the award.
3. Submit Expression of interest
Once you have identified a supervisor in the research area of your choice, please complete the Expression of Interest (EOI) form. This form will be forwarded to your nominated supervisor for assessment and you may be requested to attend an interview.
As part of the online EOI application, you will need to submit copies of the following documents (where applicable):
- Official academic transcripts (tertiary level only) including grading scale and evidence of completion
- Q1 or Q2 1st or 2nd author publications. Conference papers can also be uploaded
- CV/resume, including publication record
- Evidence of satisfying English language requirements
- Current residency status
- Evidence of any scholarship currently receiving
* Please note: These documents will be used for an initial assessment and you will need to re-submit copies of these documents, along with other additional documents, should you be given the opportunity to proceed with a formal application.
4. Obtain an invitation to apply
If after assessing your Expression of Interest the potential supervisor has the suitable resources and expertise to take you on as a graduate research student, you will be supplied with an Invitation to Apply.
Please bear in mind that academic and administrative staff receive a high volume of enquiries from potential students and it may take up to four weeks to receive a response.
All applicants are required to upload a copy of their invitation to apply with their formal application. Applications without this will not be considered.
5. Submit an application
After you have received an invitation to apply you can then proceed to submit an application via the online application portal.
Please follow the instructions below:
- Submit a Research degree and scholarship application
Domestic applicants – R2/2022
- Ensure you upload a cover letter that includes a brief statement of your suitability for this scholarship, a statement explaining your interest in your chosen field and address the eligibility criteria
- Complete Marie-Faith Fiawoo Memorial scholarship submission google form
Results will be released in July 2022
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Thursday 30 June 2022, 5:00pm AEST
At Monash University, the health, safety and wellbeing of our staff, students and visitors remain our priority. In accordance with the Directions issued by Victoria’s Chief Health Officer, we require all staff, students and visitors to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 or have an approved medical exemption from receiving a COVID-19 vaccine in order to attend our campuses and locations.
For the latest information on COVID-19 at Monash, please visit our website.
Supporting a diverse workforce