Senior Principal Research Fellow/ Principal Research Fellow/ Senior Research Fellow/ Research Fellow (Monash Suzhou Academic Level E/D/C/B/)
Monash Suzhou Research Institute of Science and Technology
(Level B) RMB 330,000 - 450,000 per annum
(Level C) RMB 480,000 - 570,000 per annum
(Level D) RMB 600,000 - 700,000 per annum
(Level E) RMB >730,000 per annum
All plus statutory employer's contributions to social insurance, medical and housing fund (五险一金)
Location: Suzhou, China
Employment Type: Full time
Duration: Ongoing appointment subject to a successful probation
Founded in 1958, Monash University (Monash) has firmly secured its place as a leading global university. At Monash, we give you the space and support to take your career in all kinds of exciting new directions. You will have access to quality research, infrastructure and learning facilities, opportunities to collaborate internationally, as well as the grants you will need to publish your work. Monash is a university full of energetic and enthusiastic minds, driven to challenge what is expected, expand what we know, and learn from other inspiring, empowering thinkers. Discover more at www.monash.edu.
Monash is honored to be the first Australian university to receive a license to operate in China, one of the world's largest and fastest-growing economies, via the partnership at Suzhou with the Southeast University (SEU), one of China’s key national universities as well as establishment of Monash (Suzhou). The SEU-Monash partnership consists of the Joint Research Institute (JRI) and the Joint Graduate School (JGS) and will produce postgraduates and researchers with ideas to change people’s lives in the region and the world for the better.
The collaboration is based at Suzhou Industrial Park (SIP), which is one of the largest innovation precincts in China and recognized as one of the world's most dynamic places for converting clever research into valuable industrial processes and products. It is a hub for more than 100 Fortune 500 companies, 480 R&D organizations, as well as 10 national and 28 international higher education institutions.
To facilitate the collaboration Monash established the Monash Suzhou Research Institute of Science and Technology (Monash Suzhou Research Institute (MSRI) in short), a not-for-profit research institute in SIP. MSRI aims to provide a wide range of R&D support to Monash in China in five priority research areas including:
MSRI aims to attract outstanding researchers and high caliber research students. Research in the long term will not be limited only to the above themes; based on the research strengths of SEU and Monash, research in other areas will also be developed and promoted in time. It is the intention to build up a critical mass of researchers at the MSRI and the JRI and strengthen relationships in R&D with local and international industries and other institutions in China.
An academic is expected to make contributions in research, education, and engagement & service, consistent with Monash strategic plans and announced priorities. The academic will carry out activities to maintain and develop their scholarly research and professional activities relevant to the research theme to which they are appointed.
Incumbents are therefore expected to participate in one of the above research areas in collaboration with Monash academic staff, particularly those within the MSRI, JRI and JGS, and other external collaborative partners, such as SEU. They are also expected to take a role in planning, evaluating, and delivering courses in collaboration with the relevant Monash Department or School in the required degree; as well as administrative engagement and services.
They are also expected to have evidence of their research and scholarship in one of the research areas of MSRI. They will work collaboratively through innovative research and teaching. They will operate within a community of academics, practitioners, students, and other stakeholders in Suzhou, and Monash as a whole, to expand the fields of practice and research and demonstrate the impact within both current and future scenarios.
Reporting Line: An ordinary academic reports to the Centre Director of the relevant research area within MSRI, and a Centre Director reports to the President and/or Vice President-Research
Supervisory Responsibilities: TBD (but should involve in supervising PhDs and Master students and when needed, junior academics)
Financial Delegation: TBD
Budgetary Responsibilities: TBD
I) For a research academic at academic level B & C (Basic requirement)
1. To be productive and result in appropriate research output which may include publications, producing patents, codes of practice and standards, generation of external research income, engaging with industry or external organisations, supervision of HDR students, lecturing as part of HDR training, reviewing manuscripts and journal articles, editorial services, and involvement with discipline-specific organisations and conference participation, in accordance with the relevant Faculty or discipline-specific research performance standards.
2. Engagement and service includes approved standard professional and administrative tasks carried out by academic staff, and also includes community and professional service. This may include undertaking Monash Education Academy modules or other equivalent mandatory training, committee participation, grant reviewing and/or participation on grant panels, organizing and/or attending meetings, conferences, forums, seminars etc.consultancy, leadership, industry engagement, management & administration and internal and external professional work.
Il) For a research academic at academic level D & E (Extra requirement)
3. To exercise a special responsibility in providing leadership and in fostering excellence in research, teaching, professional activities and policy development in the academic discipline of the JGS and within the community, both scholarly and general. The academic will bring a strong personal commitment and reputation in both research and education to this role. Eminently credible, the academic will drive the ongoing international profile of the MSRI and interdisciplinary research whilst simultaneously leading traditional and innovative pedagogical activities in order to ensure that students' university experience is of the highest standard and their skills are recognized and highly valued by employers. Moreover, they will oversee and support a group of academic staff in their education practice as well as course management.
4. To lead grow and strengthen interdisciplinary research activities, attracting competitive national and international funding and building significant industry partnerships, aligning research to needs identified across government, industry, academia and civil society, and promoting MSRI and Monash's capability to play a significant role in national and international research, translation and education in the areas of their expertise. The academic will actively pursue new partnerships and global networks of excellence through which MSRI and Monash can mobilise specialists from diverse scholastic fields, organisations, sectors and places to generate newly funded and globally significant research in the areas of their expertise.
Knowledge and Skills for Level B&C candidates
1. Possess a high level of interpersonal skills and demonstrated ability to work independently and as part of a team across both the research, education and service sectors
2. Demonstrated track record of refereed research publications
3. Proven ability, commitment, and passion for engaging in scholarly and research activities
4. Ability to work positively and cooperatively with students, internal and external teams, and related partnerships
5. The ability to work both independently in a research environment and as part of an inter-disciplinary research team
6. A demonstrated capacity to work in a collegiate manner with other staf in the workplace
7. Proven ability to mentor and/or provide research guidance to junior researchers
8. Good links with domestic and overseas researchers in relevant research areas
9. Excellent oral and written communication in English and desirable for strong written and oral communication in Mandarin
Additional requirements for Level D/E candidates
10. Evidence of outstanding scholarly activity of an international standard in areas of their expertise and a demonstrated ongoing commitment to one or more programs of research
11. Demonstrated ability to generate research income, including from both traditional and more innovative sources of research funding
12. Record of successful supervision of postgraduate research students and the ability to make a significant contribution to postgraduate training programs in Artificial Intelligence and Data Science
13. Proven excellence in teaching and management of education programs
14. Willingness and capacity to make a substantial contribution to all activities of the department, including administration and planning
15. Proven professional leadership qualities and capacity for executive administrative responsibilities
16. Evidence of sustained relationships with industry, business, government agencies, professional bodies coupled with vision for the future needs and development of the area of their expertise within China and internationally
OTHER JOB-RELATED INFORMATION
- Travel to other campuses of Monash may be required
- There may be a requirement to work additional hours from time to time
- There may be peak periods of work during which taking of leave may be restricted
- Eligible to work in China. MSRI will sponsor eligible foreign employee to apply for work permit in China
Ensure you are aware of and adhere to legislation and MSRI and Monash policy relevant to the duties undertaken, including Equal Employment Opportunity, supporting equity and fairness; Occupational Health and Safety, supporting a safe workplace; Conflict of Interest (including Conflict of Interest in Research); Paid Outside Work; Privacy; Research Conduct; and Staff/Student Relationships. For general information, please click www.monash.edu/suzhou.
To apply, please send your CV (including contacts for three referees) and cover letter addressing how you meet the job requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org.
For any specific questions related to the role, please contact email@example.com
Applicants will continue to be reviewed until the positions are filled.
Supporting a diverse workforce