Only Indigenous Australians are eligible to apply as this position is exempt under the Special Measure Provision, Section 12(1) of the Equal Opportunity Act 2011 (Vic).
- Full time, continuing position
- Located at any Regional Victorian campuses
- $88,489 - $97,344 per annum + up to 17% superannuation
- This position is open to Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander applicants only, as La Trobe University considers that being Aboriginal or a Torres Strait Islander is a genuine occupational requirement for the position under the 'special measures' of section 12 of the Equal Opportunity Act 2010 (Vic).
About La Trobe
La Trobe University’s success is driven by people who are committed to making a difference. They are creative and highly motivated, pursue new ideas and create knowledge. La Trobe is one of Australia’s research leaders, and the largest provider of higher education to regional Victoria. Our teaching and research address some of the most significant issues of our time and we’re passionate about driving change through operational excellence to benefit the communities we serve.
The Indigenous Student Advisor provides developmental support to Indigenous students across our metropolitan campuses, in conjunction with the broader advising profession.
About the position
The primary purpose of this position is to:
- Responsible for independently monitoring, reviewing and developing procedures in own functional area. Able to cross specialist, organisational or functional boundaries to co-ordinate actions and propose initiatives.
- Adapts procedures to fit policy prescriptions or uses theoretical principles in modifying and adapting techniques. This may involve standalone work or the supervision of others in order to achieve objectives. It may also involve the interpretation of policy which has an impact beyond the immediate work area.
- Engage with the Indigenous educational community, to keep a breadth of current trends and opportunities. Including meeting attendance and reporting to Indigenous educational organisatoins including the LEACG and VAEAI, as directed by the Senior Manager, Indigenous Strategy, Education and Community Liaison.
Skills and Experience
- An undergraduate degree in any area relevant to the position (e.g. counselling, career development, psychology, education, social work) with at least 4 years subsequent experience; or extensive experience and management expertise; or an equivalent alternate combination of relevant knowledge, training and/or experience.
- Excellent cultural knowledge, experience and understanding of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples, historical and contemporary issues affecting participation in education.
- Demonstrated understanding of issues affecting Indigenous Australian’s access, participation, retention and success in the higher education sector.
Please refer to the Position Description for other duties, skills and experience required for this position.
All La Trobe University employees are bound by the Working with Children Act 2005. If you are successful, you will be required to hold a valid Victorian Employee Working with Children Check prior to commencement.
Please click on this link for a full list of Benefits http://www.latrobe.edu.au/jobs/working/benefits
How to apply
Closing date: By 11:55pm Sunday 12th December 2021
Position Enquiries: Tanya Peeler, via email email@example.com
HR/Recruitment Enquiries; Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Position Description below:
PD - HEO7 - Indigenous Student Advisor (Regional).pdf
This position is open to Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander applicants only, as La Trobe University considers that being Aboriginal or a Torres Strait Islander is a genuine occupational requirement for the position under the 'special measures' of section 12 of the Equal Opportunity Act 2010 (Vic).
Only candidates with full working rights in Australia may apply for this position.
Please submit an online application ONLY and include the following documents:
- Cover letter;
- An up to date resume; and
Please scroll down to apply.
La Trobe Cultural Qualities:
We are Accountable, We are Connected, We are Innovative, We Care
La Trobe University is an Equal Opportunity Employer and is committed to providing a diverse, inclusive and respectful working environment for all staff. We offer flexible work arrangements that can assist you in balancing your work and other responsibilities.