Senior Legal Counsel
Job no: 503914
Work type: Full Time
Categories: Employee Relations / Employment Law, Legal Counsel
The Senior Legal Counsel role is part of the Group Workplace Relations team and is responsible for providing legal advice across the Virgin Australia Group on a wide range of employment law and industrial relations issues, to represent the Group as an advocate in employment and industrial tribunals and to manage employment and industrial litigation matters on behalf of the Group.
We know what sets Virgin Australia apart is our people and the drive we all have to make a real difference for our guests. Our people are passionate champions of better. We strive to do better every single day and we do it with heart, spirit, imagination and collaboration.
United by this purpose and these values, every person we come into contact with - our guests, our customers, our colleagues and the community - will feel and experience better based on the interactions we have with them.
The successful applicant is expected to:
- Provide strategic, commercial and timely legal advice on employment and industrial relations issues including advising on, employment entitlements, industrial issues, Enterprise Agreement and employment contract interpretation, termination of employment, restructures, complaints and other complex
- Manage litigation effectively and in a manner which minimises external legal spend and impact to the business;
- Represent the Group in conferences and appear as an advocate in employment and industrial tribunals (including the Fair Work Commission, Federal Court of Australia, Australian Human Rights Commission and state tribunals);
- Preparation of witness statements and submissions in response to employment claims;
- Identify and proactively work to resolve employment legal issues arising across the Group, involving appropriate stakeholders as required;
- Identify and communicate in a timely way with the business and relevant stakeholders on employment and industrial relations law updates which impact on the Group;
- Design and deliver or arrange training to the business on employment and industrial relations legal issues;
- Draft and update Group policies and templates including employment contracts and other documentation.
Joining our Group Workplace Relations Team, you will have a minimum of 7 + years post admission experience in employment and industrial relations law including more recently in a senior position either at a law firm or in-house and have a broad experience which includes managing litigation and appearing as an advocate in employment and industrial relations tribunals.
Additional skills & experience:
- Strong communication and stakeholder engagement skills;
- Willingness to share knowledge and to coach others;
- An ability to work autonomously and effectively manage competing priorities;
- Strong problem solving skills.
What you’ll get from us
Let’s be honest – you skipped to the best part, didn’t you?! And why wouldn’t you with these benefits:
- Experience the Virgin Australia Culture which is unlike anything else you have experienced. Become part of an internationally recognised brand that feels like family
- See Australia and the world with access to heavily discounted flights for you, your family and friends on Virgin Australia and many of our interline partners. We are extremely proud of our Team Travel program and it won’t take long to realise why.
- Take advantage of countless industry discounts – Lounge membership, hotels, travel insurance, car hire, tours, retail… the list goes on.
Ready to spread your wings?
Boarding for this opportunity won’t last long – register your interest today by submitting an application via the link below.
Virgin Australia is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to creating an inclusive culture and supportive environment for our people. We believe diversity in our workforce strengthens our business and we welcome applications from Indigenous Australians, people with disability, people from diverse cultural and linguistic backgrounds, mature age workers and lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and intersex (LGBTI) people.
A note from us to recruitment agencies
We politely ask that you avoid making any approaches or sending any unsolicited CVs to our Recruitment Team or Managers across the business. Virgin Australia is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited CVs.
Advertised : E. Australia Standard Time
Applications close : E. Australia Standard Time
Back to search results Apply now