The objective of the Senior DevOps Engineer role is to provide leadership on the development of applications and infrastructure through continuous integration and delivery processes and practices. The Senior DevOps Engineer will unify the roles of software Development and IT Operations and have them come together to put software into production.
Working in the Development & Testing team area where we build and test all digital products for Virgin Australia and Velocity Frequent Flyer.
This role should endeavour to drive software engineering group towards a modern DevOps culture where teams are responsible for their working software in production, including infrastructure, pipelines and on call. In this model the DevOps team also provide advice, guidance and tooling on infrastructure and release engineering. Balance operations and maintenance with more strategic work.
The Senior DevOps Engineer will also operationally manage a small team of 2 that may grow in the future. They will evaluate the team's work processes and best practices and implement changes to streamline operations – also guiding other software development teams. They would also need to work closely with solutions architects and cloud engineers to be able to provide up to date and accurate technological advice to all teams.
Key responsibilities include:
• Developing software in AWS, CI/CD pipelines, automation, and managing production infrastructure
• Provide technical oversight and management of resources
• Vendor management where required such at Gitlab
• The senior devops engineer would need to work closely with solutions architects and cloud engineers to be able to provide up to date and accurate technological advice to the engineering and development & support teams
• Translating engineering realities into simple terms for non-technical stakeholders
• Being the technical point of contact for DevOps
• Ensure that strong stakeholder engagement is established and maintained across key portfolio areas
What we're looking for:
- Degree in a relevant area such as computer science or software engineering
- Very strong software engineering background
- Java and at least one other language
- Understanding of high-performance and reliability engineering principles
- Detailed understanding of streaming and message-driven architectures
- Microservices experience
- Proven and significant experience leading DevOps and CI/CD practices
- Cloud infrastructure expertise
- Experience across numerous DevOps and automation tooling; Gitlab CI, Ansible, IDE’s, MongoDB, New Relic Monitoring
Virgin Australia Group is a major Australian airline headquartered in Brisbane, Australia. The company operates scheduled domestic and short-haul international flights, charter and cargo services, and the award-winning loyalty program Velocity Frequent Flyer. The Group has been a competitor in the Australian aviation landscape for more than 20 years.
The company is now embarking on an exciting new chapter in the next stage of our journey. In September 2020, US private equity firm Bain Capital acquired Virgin Australia in a $3.5 billion deal. The airline has now re-launched as a mid-market carrier with a renewed focus on small and medium sized businesses, price-sensitive corporates, premium leisure travellers and holiday makers.
Virgin Australia Group prides itself on recruiting the right people to meet the challenges ahead. No matter their role – our employees share an enormous amount of passion for our guests and ambition to be the most loved airline in Australia.