Our Chambers Band 1 Technology, Media and Telecommunications (TMT) practice is rapidly expanding and we are recruiting a high-calibre Senior Associate or Associate to join our Sydney or Melbourne team.
This is a fantastic role for somebody looking to work in a collaborative and high performing team, solving challenging problems for a range of Australia's top companies, tech sector multinationals and high growth enterprises.
Your day to day role will typically involve a variety of transactional and regulatory matters including:
• Outsourcing – technology and business process outsourcing and vendor management
• General commercial
• Data – privacy advice, data governance, data commercialisation, data breach crisis management, engaging with regulators on formal investigations and negotiating enforceable undertakings
• Corporate – business separations and systems integrations and advising on complex corporate carve outs
• Digital transformation projects
• Telecommunications – major projects, regulatory, infrastructure development and services arrangements
• Media – broadcasting rights deals, licensing and distribution of digital content
• Allens Accelerate – start up and scaleup support across their lifecycle
You will work side-by-side with clients across all sectors (including highly regulated sectors such as financial services, energy and health) as they invest in tech-led innovation while confronting the challenges of a constantly changing legal and regulatory landscape.
We are ranked as a band 1 practice by Chambers Global.
Tech + Data has been identified by Allens as one of its key growth areas within the firm, and our TMT Group is in growth mode. The TMT Group is an integral part of Allens' leading Corporate practice and provides specialist expertise across all parts of the TMT spectrum.
As a member of our TMT Team, you will work in a collaborative environment advising, acting and supporting our clients with their TMT focused legal issues. Our team operates nationally (with team members in Sydney, Melbourne and Brisbane) and includes specialist TMT Partners and Lawyers, supported by Knowledge Management Lawyers, Paralegals and Practice Assistants.
You will also work closely with many parts of the firm (including Mergers & Acquisitions, Disputes and Investigations, Competition, Intellectual Property and Projects).
Our people have unique backgrounds and life experiences and harnessing their many talents helps us connect with our clients, solve complex problems, innovate and attract even more great people. We've long been committed to inclusion and diversity and we're proud that there isn't an 'Allens type'.
As a member of our TMT Team, you will have access to the firm's extensive client base to explore and develop new opportunities and deliver outstanding service. Ranked as a band-1 practice by Chambers Global, you will act for a range of Australia's top companies and high growth enterprises in the ever-changing technology arena.
From digital transformation to technology implementation, and data management to managing vendors, we support the full range of tech, telco and data needs of established corporates across all sectors, as well as major tech, telco and media sector clients. We also work closely with leading high growth enterprises from beginning to launch and beyond through Allens Accelerate, our dedicated high growth companies practice.
Our team is committed to delivering exceptional client care – if we spot an issue we raise it; if we spot an opportunity we let our clients know.
Your career trajectory
Our TMT practice is expanding and we're looking for a Senior Associate or Associate with the desire to learn and develop their career with us. We will support you on your journey and will give you access to our career framework when you join, providing a clear understanding of what high performance at each career stage as a lawyer at Allens looks like.
We also recognise that every employee's experience is different, and at Allens we know that successful and enjoyable careers come through your focus and commitment to being the best you can be, in an environment where you are supported and encouraged, and have clarity on key processes and decisions. Our career deal is a key part in achieving this; our deal asks you to take the lead for your career, with us providing the coaching and support to help you meet your goals and aspirations.
What you'll bring
- Demonstrated experience from a leading TMT practice, with experience in IT/telecommunications contracting and regulatory advice and data regulation.
- Australia or other common law jurisdiction experience, ideally with direct involvement in the drafting and negotiation of a broad range of IT/telecommunications contracts.
- An ability to effectively manage smaller matters and elements of larger matters.
- A willingness to participate in business development activities, such as pitch documents, firm-wide pursuits, article writing, attending industry events and hosting seminars.
- A desire and ability to grow, both as a TMT lawyer and as a leader.
- A willingness to build an understanding of clients and develop effective working relationships.
- An ability to establish a professional profile and internal networks.
- A willingness to develop others through mentoring and sharing experiences and networks.
Allens is a leading international law firm with a proud 200-year heritage of shaping the future for our clients, our people and the communities in which we work.
From playing a pioneering role in the development of legislation and regulatory frameworks in the Asia region, to acting on numerous 'firsts' across a range of industry and community issues, it is in our DNA to make a difference and help shape what our world looks like.
Through our alliance with Linklaters, we offer clients a global network of 40 offices in 28 locations. With Allens, you'll work at the cutting edge of the law on the most complex and innovative deals in the market. You'll work with lawyers and professionals at the top of their game who, like you, strive to get a little better every day. And you'll be supported to take your career wherever you want it to go.
What we'll offer
You will be an integral part of a high performing, national team and have an opportunity to work with genuine market leaders.
At Allens, we provide lifelong learning that develops you personally and professionally, and access to people and leaders who can help you become the best you can be. You'll be given ongoing opportunities to get involved and to take your career all the way.
You'll enjoy a range of other benefits including free gym membership, staff discounts with hundreds of suppliers and regular social and sporting activities. Allens also leads the profession in community investment, giving you the opportunity to make a difference through our work on reconciliation, the environment and other social justice issues as well as our workplace giving and volunteering programs.
Are you ready to begin?
We prefer to hear from you directly.
Please submit your resume via our on-line careers site addressed to Thomas Wigglesworth, Senior Resourcing Consultant, or contact Thomas for a confidential discussion on +61 449 539 834.
If this isn't the position for you, please tell your friends or colleagues about it.