Associate, Projects & Development (Hanoi Office)
Work type: Full time
Categories: Experienced Lawyers (Vietnam qualified)
We are looking for talented and motivated Associates to join our Projects team in the Hanoi office. This is a fantastic opportunity for lawyers interested in working in a collaborative and high performing team advising on some of the most complex and interesting transactions in the market. We are particularly interested in hearing from lawyers with Energy and Infrastructure expertise and/or an interest in working on large scale development projects.
Our team is one of the most experienced Energy, Resources & Infrastructure legal teams in Vietnam. We have advised many of the leading players in these sectors including global energy and resources investors and project financiers. We drafted and negotiated the first Government Guarantees and Undertakings Agreement (GGU) for the Nam Con Son Gas Pipeline project in 2001 and key project documents for the first ever Build-Operate-Transfer (BOT) power projects in Vietnam, including Phu My 3, which have since been used as templates for subsequent projects in the country.
As part of our team, you will play an important role delivering client work on market-leading projects and transactions and working with us to identify and win new work opportunities. The key features of this role are the challenging work you will experience, the variety of transactions you can expect to get involved in and the broad range of clients and people you will work with.
Your role will typically include:
- advising clients seeking to develop, finance, construct and/or acquire energy and/or infrastructure projects;
- acting for significant players in the energy and Infrastructure sectors on key project documents;
- advising clients in relation to all aspects of acquisitions and disposals of energy and infrastructure projects, from legal due diligence, through preparation of transaction documents, to completion; and
- assisting clients to obtain regulatory project and transaction approvals, as well as assisting with ongoing regulatory advisory and compliance requirements.
We work with some of the world's leading energy and resources companies and project financiers. You will have access to the firm's extensive client base to explore and develop new opportunities and deliver outstanding service. You will act for a wide range of clients, each with unique and challenging work environments. We mobilise quickly, listen to client concerns and base our recommendations on what's most important to them.
Your career trajectory
We recognise that every employee's experience is different and at Allens we know that successful and enjoyable careers come through your focus and commitment to being the best you can be, in an environment where you are supported and encouraged, and have clarity on key processes and decisions. Our career deal is a key part in achieving this; our deal asks you to take the lead for your career, with us providing the coaching and support to help you meet your goals and aspirations.
What you'll bring
- Experience advising on project development transactions in the Energy and Infrastructure sector at a well-regarded international or Vietnamese law firm. Experience in adjacent practices such as Corporate Mergers & Acquisitions is highly regarded. Experience working for State power-sector stakeholders may be an advantage.
- An ability to work independently and effectively manage smaller matters and elements of larger matters.
- A strong team ethic, this aspect of our culture is of key importance to us.
- A willingness to develop others through mentoring and sharing experiences and networks.
- An interest in building an understanding of clients and developing effective working relationships with clients.
- A willingness to participate in business development activities, such as pitch documents, firm-wide pursuits, attending industry events and hosting seminars.
- An ability to establish a professional profile and internal networks.
This is a permanent opportunity for a Projects Associate.
Allens is a leading international law firm with a proud 200-year heritage of shaping the future for our clients, our people and the communities in which we work.
In Vietnam, our office was one of the first foreign law firms to be licensed after the Vietnamese economy opened to the world in 1993. Since then, we have acted on many of Vietnam's most important large-scale projects and commercial transactions. We are a full service law firm – advising across the complete suite of legal practice areas, including mergers and acquisitions, the development of large-scale energy, resources and infrastructure projects and complex cross-border banking and capital markets transactions.
From playing a pioneering role in the development of legislation and regulatory framework in the Asia region, to acting on numerous 'firsts' across a range of industry and community issues, it is in our DNA to make a difference and help shape what our world looks like.
Through our alliance with Linklaters, we offer clients a global network of 40 offices in 28 locations. With Allens, you will work at the cutting edge of the law on the most complex and innovative deals in the market. You'll work with lawyers and professionals at the top of their game who, like you, strive to get a little better every day. And you'll be supported to take your career wherever you want it to go.
What we'll offer
You will be an integral part of a high performing, national team and have an opportunity to work with genuine market leaders and enjoy remuneration befitting the calibre of the firm and our clients and the expectations of your role.
At Allens, we provide lifelong learning that develops you personally and professionally, and access to people and leaders who can help you become the best you can be. You'll be given ongoing opportunities to get involved and to take your career all the way.
Are you ready to begin?
We prefer to hear from you directly.
Please submit your application by emailing Ms Hoa Duong at Hoa.Duong@allens.com.au, enclosing the following documents (in English):
- A cover letter in English (no longer than 500 words);
- A curriculum vitae; and
- A written piece (no longer than 500 words) presenting and discussing a legal issue which you are most interested in.
If this isn't the position for you, please tell your friends or colleagues about it.