Allens is a leading international law firm with a proud 200-year heritage of shaping the future for our clients, our people and the communities in which we work. From playing a pioneering role in the development of legislation and regulatory frameworks in the Asian region, to acting on numerous 'firsts' across a range of industry and community issues, it is in our DNA to make a difference and help shape what our world looks like. We have also been recognised in the Australian Financial Review's Most Innovative Companies list for the past four years – we aim to play a leadership role in advancing our industry, ensuring our processes support us to be modern, innovative and efficient.
We value personal growth and career progression equally. Through our in-depth career coaching, focus on innovation, and international network, we aim to create future leaders in the legal industry.
You'll be a part of our Patent & Trade Mark Attorneys (PTA) Group and work with attorneys and lawyers across all of our offices. Allens leading IP practice provides the full range of intellectual property services, specialising in registered IP rights.
As a Patent Attorney you will:
- Collaborate with renowned leaders in IP and have access to the firm's extensive client base to explore and develop new opportunities and deliver outstanding service to clients.
- Provide the full scope of patent and design related services to local innovators and international clients operating in competitive commercial environments, including:
- Drafting and prosecuting applications in Australia and around the world
- IP portfolio management
- Patent oppositions
- Freedom to operate searches and advice
- Validity and infringement opinions
- Assist Allens' IP practice in the delivery of a broad range of legal and commercial services, particularly in patent and design litigation matters where attorney input is critical
- Assist in the continued growth of the practice through our clearly defined and targeted Business Development initiatives.
This is a permanent, full-time opportunity however flexibility matters at Allens, so if you are seeking hybrid working or are looking for flexibility in your work, we would be happy to discuss what arrangements would work best for you.
You will have:
- Experience from a reputable law or patent attorney firm, or an in-house position.
- An Engineering background with experience in mechanical engineering (or similar).
- Experience in drafting and prosecuting patents in the area of Engineering.
- Preferably experience in drafting and prosecuting designs.
- A Patent Attorney registration (or be nearly registered)
- A desire to learn, grow, network, mentor others
In joining Allens, you will receive unparalleled learning and development opportunities. You will be challenged, supported and guided as you learn and develop, and will be encouraged grow. We foster greatness, and will coach and support you to meet your goals and aspirations.
Our unique Career Deal allows you to take control of your career and provides a transparent approach to career development. Our international alliance with Linklaters means we are able to support secondments all over the world.
Our benefits include:
- Financial: market competitive fixed remuneration; generous incentive plan that recognises both billable and broader contribution, salary continuance insurance, employee recruitment referral program, discounts at hundreds of suppliers including retail outlets, health and travel insurance, charity matched funding program.
- Health and wellbeing: fully subsidised gym memberships, annual flu vaccinations, skin checks, in-house snacks and catered meals, subsidised sporting and social activities, emergency childcare, Employee Assistance Program including confidential counselling, wellbeing coaching and financial coaching for employees and their families and regular wellbeing sessions with our in-house consulting Psychologist.
- Flexibility: hybrid and flexible working arrangements to support you in your work and life commitments and passions, equipment to support working from home.
- Leave: ability to purchase additional annual leave, access to an enhanced, inclusive and flexible parental leave policy – 26 weeks paid parental leave with no minimum service for permanent employees and high quality executive coaching to support the transition.
- International opportunities: our alliance with Linklaters ensures possible secondments to many of their overseas offices.
- Recognition: team based recognition including social activities and contribution based recognition activities, and annual Allens Values Awards to nominate and recognise the incredible contributions of our people.
Allens is also proud to invest in our communities, giving you the opportunity to make a difference through our work on reconciliation, the environment and other social justice issues as well as our workplace giving and volunteering programs.
How to apply
We'd love to hear from you so please click "apply now"! If you would like to find out more, please visit "This is Allens" or listen to our podcast Allens Confidential to hear real stories from real people about life at Allens. Alternatively, for a confidential discussion, please phone Thomas Wigglesworth, Talent Acquisition Manager, on +61 449 539 834.
At Allens, our culture is made up of unique backgrounds and varying life experiences. We celebrate our people's differences across gender and gender identity, sexual orientation, age, ability, cultural backgrounds, First Nations communities, and family and caring arrangements. We encourage applicants from all backgrounds, so if you're excited about this role but your past experience doesn't align, please express your interest by emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org. The right role for you might be just around the corner!