Allens is a leading international law firm with a proud 200-year heritage of shaping the future for our clients, our people and the communities in which we work. From playing a pioneering role in the development of legislation and regulatory frameworks in the Asian region, to acting on numerous 'firsts' across a range of industry and community issues, it is in our DNA to make a difference and help shape what our world looks like. Our alliance with Linklaters connects our clients and teams with an international network of legal leaders that spans 40 offices in 28 countries.
We value personal growth and career progression equally. Through our in-depth career coaching, focus on innovation, and international secondment program, we aim to create future leaders in the legal industry.
We are looking for a talented and motivated Senior Associate to join our Energy and Resources team in Perth. This is a fantastic role for a lawyer interested in working in a collaborative and high performing team advising on the some of the most complex and high-profile transactions in the market.
As part of our team you will play an important role delivering client work on strategically significant projects and market-leading transactions and working with us to identify and win new work opportunities. The key features of this role are the challenging work your will experience, the variety of the work you can expect to get involved in and the diversity of clients and colleagues you will work with.
In this role, you will predominately support Gerard Woods on Sino Iron Project related matters. Gerard leads the Allens team advising the project developer on a number of commercial and contentious issues arising from this integrated iron ore mining, processing and export project in the Pilbara region of Western Australia.
The work includes contract advice and drafting, State Agreement analysis and advice, regulatory analysis, strategy development, governmental consents and approvals and corporate law and governance advice for the participants in this large-scale, long-life project. Gerard's commercial team works closely with their Disputes and Investigations colleagues given the range of contentious issues affecting the project that have been determined in the Supreme Courts of WA, NSW and Queensland and the Federal Court of Australia.
Gerard's practice also includes work for mining and oil and gas sector clients operating in WA and elsewhere in the region, including Papua New Guinea, and sales, marketing, transportation and offtake transactional and structuring work for domestic and regional bulk commodity producers.
This is a permanent, full-time opportunity however flexibility matters at Allens, so if you are seeking hybrid working, part-time opportunities or are looking for flexibility in your work, we would be happy to discuss what arrangements would work best for you.
You will have:
- Experience advising on a broad range of commercial, project development and expansion, and M&A transactions in the mining, oil and gas or energy sectors at a well-regarded international or Australian, including a boutique firm.
- Familiarity with mining legislation in WA or a comparable jurisdiction, government agreements including resource development state agreements, the regulatory framework governing resource development and expansion and contract interpretation, analysis and advice.
- Well-developed analytical and written and oral communications skills.
- A strong team ethic - this aspect of our culture is of key importance to us.
- A willingness to develop others through mentoring and sharing experiences and networks.
- An interest in building an understanding of clients and developing effective working relationships with clients.
- A willingness to participate in business development activities, such as pitch documents, firm-wide pursuits, attending industry events and hosting seminars.
- An ability to establish a professional profile and internal networks.
- A desire to learn, grow, develop a network and invest in the development of others
In joining Allens, you will receive unparalleled learning and development opportunities. You will be challenged, supported and guided as you learn and develop, and will be encouraged to grow. We foster greatness, and will coach and support you to meet your goals and aspirations.
Our unique Career Deal allows you to take control of your career and provides a transparent approach to career development. Our international alliance with Linklaters means we are able to support secondments all over the world.
In joining our team, you will enjoy a supportive environment where you are encouraged to learn and develop alongside the industries best. You will also be a part of a friendly, inclusive and welcoming culture where your achievements and contributions are acknowledged and rewarded!
As Senior Associate, you will gain exposure at a senior level to strategically significant, challenging, complex and rewarding work – in particular our team's work on the Sino Iron Project, the largest magnetite mining and processing operation in Australia. You will be surrounded by an engaged and capable team of lawyers at different levels of seniority and having a diversity of skills and experiences. We will invest in your career development and work with you to provide opportunities for professional growth.
In addition to the above, you will also have access to the following benefits:
- Financial: market competitive fixed remuneration; generous incentive plan that recognises both billable and broader contribution, salary continuance insurance, employee recruitment referral program, discounts at hundreds of suppliers including retail outlets, health and travel insurance, charity matched funding program.
- Health and wellbeing: fully subsidised gym memberships, annual flu vaccinations, skin checks, in-house snacks and catered meals, subsidised sporting and social activities, emergency childcare, Employee Assistance Program including confidential counselling, wellbeing coaching and financial coaching for employees and their families and regular wellbeing sessions with our in-house consulting Psychologist.
- Flexibility: hybrid and flexible working arrangements to support you in your work and life commitments and passions, equipment to support working from home.
- Leave: ability to purchase additional annual leave, access to an enhanced, inclusive and flexible parental leave policy – 26 weeks paid parental leave with no minimum service for permanent employees and high quality executive coaching to support the transition.
- International opportunities: our alliance with Linklaters ensures possible secondments to many of their overseas offices.
- Recognition: team based recognition including social activities and contribution based recognition activities, and annual Allens Values Awards to nominate and recognise the incredible contributions of our people.
Allens is also proud to invest in our communities, giving you the opportunity to make a difference through our work on reconciliation, the environment and other social justice issues as well as our workplace giving and volunteering programs.
How to apply
We'd love to hear from you so please click "apply now"! If you would like to find out more, please visit "This is Allens" or listen to our podcast Allens Confidential to hear real stories from real people about life at Allens. Alternatively, for a confidential discussion, please phone Rebecca Lyness – Senior Consultant, Talent Acquisition on +61 2 9230 4616.
At Allens, our culture is made up of unique backgrounds and varying life experiences. We celebrate our people's differences across gender and gender identity, sexual orientation, age, ability, cultural backgrounds, First Nations communities, and family and caring arrangements. We encourage applicants from all backgrounds, so if you're excited about this role but your past experience doesn't align, please express your interest by emailing us at email@example.com. The right role for you might be just around the corner!