Allens is a leading international law firm with a proud 200-year heritage of shaping the future for our clients, our people and the communities in which we work. From playing a pioneering role in the development of legislation and regulatory frameworks in the Asian region, to acting on numerous 'firsts' across a range of industry and community issues, it is in our DNA to make a difference and help shape what our world looks like. Our alliance with Linklaters connects our clients and teams with an international network of legal leaders that spans 40 offices in 28 countries.
We value personal growth and career progression equally. Through our in-depth career coaching, focus on innovation, and international secondment program, we aim to create future leaders in the legal industry.
We are currently looking for Associates to join our Tax team in Melbourne and Sydney. In this role, you will have an opportunity to work with lawyers across all of our offices where you will gain exposure to the most complex and interesting transactions in the market.
At Allens, our structure means you'll get exposure to a number of different Partners within your practice group and a wide variety of work. We encourage our lawyers to find their niche and specialise in areas they're interested in, while building a strong foundation across their field.
As an Associate in our Tax Practice you will:
- Provide precise, commercially informed advice on all areas of direct taxation, covering income tax, capital gains tax, and international tax
- Guide businesses to proactively manage and respond to changes in tax laws, and assist with the tax optimisation of transactions, and to navigate scrutiny should it arise.
- Represent many of Australia's top companies undertaking tax advisory work, negotiations and litigation on behalf of our clients.
- Have the opportunity for involvement in significant international tax issues including advising on general structuring of transactions and transfer pricing issues and disputes.
This is a permanent, full-time opportunity however we support flexibility, and would be happy to discuss what arrangements would work best for you. We also support a hybrid working model, where working from home, and the office, is part of our norm.
You will have:
- 3-5 years' experience in a Tax team within a law firm, or in M&A tax in an accounting firm.
- An ability to work independently and effectively manage smaller matters and elements of larger matters.
- An interest in the subject matter with an desire to remain abreast of industry changes.
- A professional and articulate communication style.
- A willingness to accept feedback.
- A desire to learn, grow, network, mentor others.
- A story to tell – we value diversity in all of its hues.
In joining Allens, you will receive unparalleled learning and development opportunities. You will be challenged, supported and guided as you learn and develop, and will be encouraged to grow. We foster greatness, and will coach and support you to meet your goals and aspirations.
Our unique Career Deal allows you to take control of your career and provides a transparent approach to career development. Our international alliance with Linklaters means we are able to support secondments all over the world.
Our benefits include:
- Financial: market competitive fixed remuneration; generous incentive plan that recognises both billable and broader contribution, salary continuance insurance, employee recruitment referral program, discounts at hundreds of suppliers including retail outlets, health and travel insurance, charity matched funding program.
- Health and wellbeing: fully subsidised gym memberships, annual flu vaccinations, skin checks, in-house snacks and catered meals, subsidised sporting and social activities, emergency childcare, Employee Assistance Program including confidential counselling, wellbeing coaching and financial coaching for employees and their families and regular wellbeing sessions with our in-house consulting Psychologist.
- Flexibility: hybrid and flexible working arrangements to support you in your work and life commitments and passions, equipment to support working from home.
- Leave: ability to purchase additional annual leave, access to an enhanced, inclusive and flexible parental leave policy – 26 weeks paid parental leave with no minimum service for permanent employees and high quality executive coaching to support the transition.
- International opportunities: our alliance with Linklaters creates possible secondments to many of their overseas offices.
- Recognition: team based recognition including social activities and contribution based recognition activities, and annual Allens Values Awards to nominate and recognise the incredible contributions of our people.
Allens is also proud to invest in our communities, giving you the opportunity to make a difference through our work on reconciliation, the environment and other social justice issues as well as our workplace giving and volunteering programs.
How to apply
We'd love to hear from you so please click "apply now"! If you would like to find out more, please visit "This is Allens" or listen to our podcast Allens Confidential to hear real stories from real people about life at Allens. Alternatively, for a confidential discussion, please phone Rebecca Lyness – Senior Consultant, Talent Acquisition on +61 2 9230 4616.
At Allens, our culture is made up of unique backgrounds and varying life experiences. We celebrate our people's differences across gender and gender identity, sexual orientation, age, ability, cultural backgrounds, First Nations communities, and family and caring arrangements. We encourage applicants from all backgrounds, so if you're excited about this role but your past experience doesn't align, please express your interest by emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org. The right role for you might be just around the corner!