Allens is a leading international law firm with a proud 200-year heritage of shaping the future for our clients, our people and the communities in which we work. From playing a pioneering role in the development of legislation and regulatory frameworks in the Asian region, to acting on numerous 'firsts' across a range of industry and community issues, it is in our DNA to make a difference and help shape what our world looks like. Our alliance with Linklaters connects our clients and teams with an international network of legal leaders that spans 37 offices in 23 countries.
We value personal growth and career progression equally. Through our in-depth career coaching and focus on innovation we aim to create future leaders in the legal industry.
Allens has a strong commitment to pro bono, philanthropy, reconciliation and the environment. We aim to both support and empower individuals to create meaningful change.
As a Senior Associate, you'll be a part of our Pro Bono Practice and will work with lawyers across all of our offices. Our pro bono work is overseen by our Community Engagement Board chaired by the Managing Partner and comprising representatives of our Pro Bono, Philanthropy, Reconciliation Action Plan and Sustainability Committees. You'll have access to the Firm's legal resources, support infrastructure and financial and practice management systems.
- Be an expert in one or more areas of law in which the community faces unmet legal need, including employment law; refugee law; or discrimination.
- Be experienced in working with disadvantaged clients.
- Bring in and run matters independently, with support from a Partner.
- Leverage and build relevant networks internally and externally to promote and grow the Pro Bono Practice.
- Upskill our internal lawyers through education and training.
This is a two-year fixed term contract, full-time opportunity however flexibility matters at Allens, so if you are seeking hybrid working, part-time opportunities or are looking for flexibility in your work, we would be happy to discuss what arrangements would work best for you.
You will have:
- Experience and expertise in relevant legal work, ideally within a legal aid office, community legal service or Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Legal Service or within a law firm where you will have worked full time within the pro bono practice.
- A passion to specialise in community engagement work with a focus on the Pro Bono sector.
- A desire to learn, grow, network, and mentor others.
A story to tell - our culture is made up of unique backgrounds and varying life experiences. We celebrate our people's differences from across gender and gender identity, sexual orientation, age, ability, cultural backgrounds, First Nations communities, and family and caring arrangements. We encourage applications from all passionate applicants.
In joining Allens, you will receive unparalleled learning and development opportunities. You will be challenged, supported and guided as you learn and develop, and will be encouraged to grow. We foster greatness, and will coach and support you to meet your goals and aspirations.
Our unique Career Deal allows you to take control of your career and provides a transparent approach to career development.
Our benefits include:
- Financial: market competitive fixed remuneration, salary continuance insurance, employee recruitment referral program, discounts at hundreds of suppliers including retail outlets, health and travel insurance, charity matched funding program.
- Health and wellbeing: fully subsidised gym memberships, annual flu vaccinations, skin checks, in-house snacks and catered meals, subsidised sporting and social activities, emergency childcare, Employee Assistance Program including confidential counselling, wellbeing coaching and financial coaching for employees and their families and regular wellbeing sessions with our in-house consulting Psychologist.
- Flexibility: hybrid and flexible working arrangements to support you in your work and life commitments and passions, equipment to support working from home.
- Leave: ability to purchase additional annual leave, access to an enhanced, inclusive and flexible parental leave policy – 26 weeks paid parental leave with no minimum service for permanent employees and high quality executive coaching to support the transition.
- Recognition: team based recognition including social activities and contribution based recognition activities, and annual Allens Values Awards to nominate and recognise the incredible contributions of our people.
Allens is also proud to invest in our communities, giving you the opportunity to make a difference through our work on reconciliation, the environment and other social justice issues as well as our workplace giving and volunteering programs.
How to apply
We'd love to hear from you so please click "apply now"! If you would like to find out more, please visit "This is Allens" or listen to our Allens Confidential podcast to hear real stories from real people about life at Allens.
At Allens, our culture is made up of unique backgrounds and varying life experiences. We celebrate our people's differences across gender and gender identity, sexual orientation, age, ability, cultural backgrounds, First Nations communities, and family and caring arrangements. We encourage applicants from all backgrounds, so if you're excited about this role but your past experience doesn't align, please express your interest by emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org. The right role for you might be just around the corner!