Business Development Manager (Sydney/Melbourne)
Allens is a leading international law firm with a proud 200-year heritage of shaping the future for our clients, our people and the communities in which we work. From playing a pioneering role in the development of legislation and regulatory frameworks in the Asian region, to acting on numerous 'firsts' across a range of industry and community issues, it is in our DNA to make a difference and help shape what our world looks like. Our alliance with Linklaters connects our clients and teams with an international network of legal leaders that spans 37 offices in 23 countries.
We value personal growth and career progression equally. Through our in-depth career coaching, focus on innovation, and international secondment program, we aim to create future leaders in the legal industry.
We are looking for a Business Development Manager to work closely with partners, lawyers and the business development and marketing teams, to support our Intellectual Property and Competition, Consumer & Regulatory practices.
Our partners are focused on their clients and growth. They are keen to work with someone that is able to bring fresh ideas, generate leads, solve problems, manage and execute high value pursuits, and drive forward growth initiatives aligned to practice strategy.
This role is responsible for delivering revenue growth and building stronger, more enduring client relationships.
As a Business Development Manager, your key responsibilities would include:
- Setting sector strategy with the sector leader and driving implementation.
- Setting practice strategy and priorities with partners, working with relevant corporate services team members and driving implementation.
- Identifying areas for cross practice and sector collaboration and executing accordingly.
- Playing a client relationship management role with appropriate clients, including coaching on and advocating the CRM tools available.
- Conducting client feedback (relationship, matter and tender feedback) to continually improve our service offering and to gain further insights into client's business.
- Coaching secondees prior and post placement.
- Encouraging the sharing of client intelligence, lessons learned and best practice BD across the firm.
- With support, maintenance of client lists to ensure marketing and BD efforts are targeted.
- Driving implementation of the practice priorities including pursuing growth opportunities.
- Leveraging networks to generate leads.
- Coaching Partners and Managing Associates to execute their business plans.
- Identifying and leading strategy pursuits of clients and deal opportunities.
- Implementing business development initiatives, including integrated campaigns.
- With support, preparing submissions and helping to prepare partners for ranking survey interviews (such as Chambers and Legal 500) and managing league tables submissions nationally.
- With our Marketing team, identifying events, publishing, media and speaking opportunities and providing partners and lawyers with support in pursuing these opportunities.
- Understanding the market and staying across client and competitor activity and sharing insights.
- Preparation, project management and contribution to tenders.
- Coaching lawyers and PAs in contributing to the tender process.
- With support, managing the collection of capability information for the group (for inclusion in tenders and pitches) and maintenance of tender infrastructure and identifying ways to continuously improve the tender process.
- Coaching and mentoring of junior team members and identifying ways to support their career growth.
You will have:
- Previous line management experience
- A desire to learn, grow, network, mentor others
- A story to tell - our culture is made up of unique backgrounds and varying life experiences. We celebrate our people's differences from across gender and gender identity, sexual orientation, age, ability, cultural backgrounds, First Nations communities, and family and caring arrangements. We encourage applications from all passionate applicants.
In joining Allens, you will receive unparalleled learning and development opportunities. You will be challenged, supported and guided as you learn and develop, and will be encouraged to grow. We foster greatness, and will coach and support you to meet your goals and aspirations.
Our unique Career Deal allows you to take control of your career and provides a transparent approach to career development. Our international alliance with Linklaters means we are able to support secondments all over the world.
This role is part of the firm's Marketing and Client Services (MCS) team, which is led by the firm's Chief Marketing Officer, Julie Barber.
In essence, the MCS team comprises
- A team of 27 business development team members (allocated to portfolios of industry sectors, practices/products and clients)
- A team of 27 marketing, communication and digital specialists in areas such as communication, media and content; marketing and campaigns; design and digital; events and networks.
The team is well regarded across the firm, and typically involved in strategy development and execution.
The MCS team is a tight knit one with a strong commitment to results, a hard work ethic and a good sense of fun. The team is genuinely national, with team members located across Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane and Perth. A number of MCS team members have worked with Allens for significant periods of time, while there are also new team members whose fresh perspectives and different ways of thinking are embraced.
Consistent with many BD roles at Allens, this role would be ‘embedded’ within our Intellectual Property and Competition, Consumer & Regulatory practices allowing the successful candidate to quickly and efficiently build rapport and relationships.
Our benefits include:
- Financial: market competitive fixed remuneration; salary continuance insurance, employee recruitment referral program, discounts at hundreds of suppliers including retail outlets, health and travel insurance, charity matched funding program.
- Health and wellbeing: fully subsidised gym memberships, annual flu vaccinations, skin checks, in-house snacks and catered meals, subsidised sporting and social activities, emergency childcare, Employee Assistance Program including confidential counselling, wellbeing coaching and financial coaching for employees and their families and regular wellbeing sessions with our in-house consulting Psychologist.
- Flexibility: hybrid and flexible working arrangements to support you in your work and life commitments and passions, equipment to support working from home.
- Leave: ability to purchase additional annual leave, access to an enhanced, inclusive and flexible parental leave policy – 26 weeks paid parental leave with no minimum service for permanent employees and high quality executive coaching to support the transition.
- Recognition: team based recognition including social activities and contribution based recognition activities, and annual Allens Values Awards to nominate and recognise the incredible contributions of our people.
Allens is also proud to invest in our communities, giving you the opportunity to make a difference through our work on reconciliation, the environment and other social justice issues as well as our workplace giving and volunteering programs.
How to apply?
We'd love to hear from you so please click "apply now"! If you would like to find out more, please visit "This is Allens" or listen to our Allens Confidential podcast to hear real stories from real people about life at Allens. Alternatively, for a confidential discussion, please contact Alison Maclurkin, Talent Acquisition National Manager at firstname.lastname@example.org
At Allens, our culture is made up of unique backgrounds and varying life experiences. We celebrate our people's differences across gender and gender identity, sexual orientation, age, ability, cultural backgrounds, First Nations communities, and family and caring arrangements. We encourage applicants from all backgrounds, so if you're excited about this role but your past experience doesn't align, please express your interest by emailing us at email@example.com. The right role for you might be just around the corner!