Youth Workers (Identified). Part Time - Shailer Park
Job no: 494571
Employment type: Part Time
Categories: Child, Youth & Family
About the Organisation
Life Without Barriers is a leading social purpose, not for profit organisation of 7,000 employees working in more than 440 communities across Australia. We support children, young people and families, people with disability, older people and people with mental illness. We work with people who are homeless and refugees and asylum seekers.
We want to employ people who reflect the diversity of our clients to ensure we can support each client's individual needs and wants. We encourage people of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander background and people with disability experience to apply.
About the Role
Life Without Barriers considers that being of Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander descent is a genuine occupational requirement as outlined in State and Territory legislation and permitted as a ‘special measure’ under section 8 of the Racial Discrimination Act 1975 (Cth) and by articles 1(4) and 2(2) of the International Convention on the Elimination of All Forms of Racial Discrimination.
Working in line with the CARE model you will strive to enhance the lives of children and young people in our Child, Youth & Family programs incorporating a therapeutic, trauma informed approach. The Youth Worker provides direct care and mentoring of children and/or young people with a wide range of responsibility for specialised program activities, child/young person development and supervision, and promotion of a safe environment. To find out more information on the CARE framework please follow the link: https://www.lwb.org.au/our-approach/child-youth-and-family/
You will be working with children and young people in our Intensive Foster Care program which covers Logan, Gold Coast, Beaudesert and Redlands. Most of our shifts occur in after school hours and on weekends, however occasional sleepovers are required.
- Work as a part of a team to support and promote engagement with local Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Communities and Community Groups
- If required, provide Cultural Advice and best practice in working with Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Children, Young People and families to staff and colleagues.
- Provide a collaborative localised approach to engaging Young person in ways relevant to them and within their zone of proximal development.
- Develop and maintain relationships with significant family members, friends, community organisations and government agencies to promote lasting connections and positive outcomes for Young people and their families.
Skills & Experience
- You must have obtained or be willing to work towards your Certificate IV in Child, Youth and Family Intervention (or similar) If you are unsure if you meet these minimum qualification standards, please visit https://peakcare.com.au/hopehealing/min-quals-res-care/
- Knowledge of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander issues / protocols and those pertaining to Child, Youth & Family and child protection.
- Valid Full Unrestricted Australian Drivers Licence
- Valid First Aid Certificate and CPR Certification (or willingness to obtain prior to commencement)
- Complete Hope and Healing Framework Foundations prior to starting (we will enrol you in this if successful)
Successful candidates will be required to clear probity checks including National Criminal History Record Check and Working with Children Check (where relevant to the role).
- Permanent part time positions on offer
- Salary packaging tax benefits, meal entertainment benefit, novated leasing and more
- Growing organisation with great career opportunities
- Ongoing training and mentorship
- Cultural supervision (internal or external) and Cultural safe space meetings
How to Apply
Include your resume and covering letter in one document, click ‘Apply’ and follow the prompts. For any enquiries including persons with disability that require adjustments, contact firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject heading “Youth Work SEQ”. Please note that we do not accept applicants to this email address, they must be submitted online.
Applicants are encouraged to apply as soon as possible as applications may be reviewed prior to the closing date; and as such the closing date is subject to change without notice. Current application closing date is midnight Sunday 30 August 2020.
We are dedicated to playing our part to reduce the spread of COVID-19 and bring continuity of care and support to our clients. With this in mind, if you are successful, we will discuss with you an alternative to a face to face interview.
Life Without Barriers supports the Royal Commission into violence, abuse, neglect and exploitation of people with disability. We believe people with disability need to be heard and for these experiences to influence how support services like ours are delivered. View our statement here (https://bit.ly/2GzZGWA)
Advertised: E. Australia Standard Time
Applications close: E. Australia Standard Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend