Aboriginal and or Torres Strait Islander Cultural Support Planner
Job no: 494971
Employment type: Part Time
Location: Mackay & Coalfields
Categories: Child, Youth & Family
*Life Without Barriers considers that being of Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander descent is a genuine occupational requirement as outlined in section 25 of the Anti-Discrimination Act (1991) and permitted as a 'special measure' under section 8 of the Racial Discrimination Act 1975 (Cth) and by articles 1(4) and 2(2) of the International Convention on the Elimination of All Forms of Racial Discrimination.
About the Organisation
Life Without Barriers is a leading social purpose, not for profit organisation of 7,000 employees working in more than 440 communities across Australia. We support children, young people and families, people with disability, older people and people with mental illness. We work with people who are homeless and refugees and asylum seekers.
We want to employ people who reflect the diversity of our clients to ensure we can support each client's individual needs and wants. We encourage people of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander background and people with disability to apply.
About the role
Permanent part-time position - 38 hours per fortnight.
The purpose of the Aboriginal and Torres Strait Island Cultural Support Planner is to develop cultural support plans for Aboriginal and or Torres Strait Island children and young people in Out of Home Care and establish and maintain relationships between Life Without Barriers and local Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Communities.
Develop and maintain relationships with the local Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander community and to identify and explore alternative sources of information to fulfil the individual cultural heritage components of the cultural support plan, while working with children or young people, family, Life Without Barriers case managers and relevant government agency staff.
- Develop cultural support plans for children and young people in out-of-home care, in partnership with children and young people, and a multidisciplinary team.
- Work with the other relevant stakeholders to ensure that the C&YP identified goals within their cultural support plan are implemented.
- Ensure that any risk with implementing or delivering goals are communicated with appropriate manager.
- Proactively work to ensure that LWB achieve 100% compliance with cultural support plans.
- If required, develop, deliver and support Cultural Awareness programs, activities and other training
- Support and promote engagement with local Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Communities and community groups.
- Develop, promote and maintain linkages with state-wide and national specialist and peak Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander bodies.
Skills & Experience
- Demonstrated ability to work with individuals, families and communities from a strength-based, culturally appropriate perspective.
- Demonstrated experience in managing competing priorities and to deliver high quality outcomes within agreed timeframes.
- Extensive knowledge of issues impacting on Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and communities in contemporary society and a demonstrated ability to communicate effectively and sensitively with Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people.
- Working knowledge of relevant legislative and regulatory environment for areas of business responsibility.
- Ability to work collaboratively with a range of stakeholders including peers, employees, external organisations, funding bodies and government agencies.
- Must be of Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander decent.
- Relevant tertiary qualification in Social Science, Community Development, Social Work or related discipline, and/or demonstrated knowledge and experience working with Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander communities.
- Strong verbal communication skills and presentation ability.
- Proficient ability in the use of the Microsoft Office suite of programs.
- Have demonstrated ability to manage work and meet competing demands and deadlines
- Current Drivers Licence.
Successful candidates will be required to clear probity checks including National Criminal History Record Check and Working with Children Check (where relevant to the role).
- Opportunity to work for one of Australia's largest social purpose organisations.
- Attractive Remuneration Package with excellent tax benefits.
- Fantastic career opportunities.
How to Apply
Include your resume and covering letter in one document, click ‘Apply’ and follow the prompts. For any enquiries including persons with disability that require adjustments, contact firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject heading ‘CSP Mackay.
Applicants are encouraged to apply as soon as possible as applications are continuously reviewed prior to the closing date; and as such the closing date is subject to change without notice. Current application closing date is 28th September, 2020.
Life Without Barriers supports the Royal Commission into violence, abuse, neglect and exploitation of people with disability. We believe people with disability need to be heard and for these experiences to influence how support services like ours are delivered. View our statement (https://bit.ly/2GzZGWA)
Advertised: E. Australia Standard Time
Applications close: E. Australia Standard Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend