The Alcohol and Drug Service is the Tasmanian public health service working to reduce the harms of alcohol, tobacco and other drug use. A Specialist Medical Practitioner is being sought to join our service during an exciting period of change and investment in the alcohol, tobacco and other drug sector in Tasmania, with the recent announcement and funding of a 10-year reform plan.
Working with the Clinical Director, the ADS Management and Senior team and other clinical staff, the Specialist Medical Practitioner will:
- Provide direct client care to people of Tasmania who have substance use problems
- Work as a member of a multidisciplinary team within biopsychosocial framework to deliver safe, evidence based multimodal clinical services
- Extend service connectivity with the primary and tertiary health sectors to enhance clinical assessment and the delivery of alcohol, tobacco and other drug treatment
- Lead workforce development through undergraduate and post-graduate teaching in contemporary ATOD practice, clinical supervision, mentoring,
- Provide leadership in high level clinical decision making across the service
We are looking for a Specialist Medical Practitioner with:
- significant clinical knowledge, skills and experience in alcohol, tobacco and other drug treatment (i.e. opioid pharmacotherapy treatment, withdrawal management, hospital consultation and liaison and other community-based treatment)
- leadership skills, vision and the ability to lead clinical teams in organisational and clinical development
There is scope in this role to engage in the development of policy and clinical practice standards.
Tasmanian has a lot to offer as a destination to work, live and play, with a natural environment and quality of life unique to a small capital city. In Hobart you are never more than ten minutes away from a beach, National Park or an award-winning restaurant, with a café culture to match any other Australian city. Whether you see yourself navigating your way around our island, hiking or mountain-biking our world class trails, immersing yourself in our arts scene or just after a different pace of life, there is something in Tasmania for everybody.
This position is based in Hobart so you could find yourself a heritage home in the city or surrounding suburbs, often within walking distance of cafes, weekend farmers markets and restaurants serving fantastic fresh Tasmania produce or a home with views of our great mountain and/or river, or you might choose to base yourself in a country town within the greater Hobart area. If you have a family, there are some excellent local primary and secondary schools, with the University of Tasmania on our doorstep.
What you can expect from us:
- A role with scope that is broad and interesting
- Candidate care to assist you and your family if relocating to Tasmania and on commencing the role
- A financial relocation package and accommodation assistance (if required and within specific award conditions)
- Support for your ongoing professional development (including allowances).
Provide direct patient care, expert medical advice and clinical leadership across Alcohol and Drug Service (ADS) South, working within a multidisciplinary health Team to facilitate the comprehensive assessment, planning and implementation of appropriate clinical management for persons who are dependent on alcohol and or drugs.
What do I submit with my application?
Please ensure your application includes:
- A current CV
- A statement addressing the selection criteria
How do I submit my application?
Online applications are preferred as this ensures you answer important questions about yourself. Please click the blue "Apply now" button on this screen.
You will be prompted to complete an online application form, add or upload your selection criteria responses, CV and supporting documents. Attachments must be in Microsoft Word or PDF format.
Referee details are submitted as part of the online application so ensure you have the contact details for two referees before applying.
Please do not send hard copy applications to the contact person. If you are unable to apply online, send your application with the completed application form to:
Human Resources – Recruitment
GPO Box 1061
HOBART TAS 7001
For more information contact
Manager Alcohol and Drug Service South
Phone: (03) 6166 0747
Better health and quality of life around Tasmania.
Visit us at www.ths.tas.gov.au