New vacancies have arisen to meet the Tasmanian Health Service (THS) commitment to substantial increases in elective surgery at the Launceston General Hospital. Planning is in progress for a new co-located private hospital and exciting opportunities exist for private practice. The Tasmanian Health Service is an innovative and dynamic organisation dedicated to improving the health and wellbeing of our community. We are committed to providing the highest levels of healthcare and services. The Launceston General Hospital is a major clinical school for the University of Tasmania.
Hours/Period of Appointment
Permanent, full time, day working 76 hours per fortnight to commence as soon as possible. We are open to considering a range of flexible work options for the successful candidate/s.
Specialist Medical Practitioner Level 1- Senior Specialist Medical Practitioner Level 3 $159,262 - $242,079 per annum, pro rata
Please note that access to the Senior Specialist Medical Practitioner salary range $229,337-$242,079 is subject to the successful applicant satisfying the criteria for Senior Specialist Medical Practitioner Level 1, 2 or 3 as described in the Salaried Medical Practitioners Interim Agreement 2019.
Provide quality specialist anaesthetic services to the Launceston General Hospital (LGH) within the limits of specified clinical privileges.
- Provide clinical care to public and private inpatients and outpatients of the LGH in accordance with hospital policies.
- Participation in all activities performed by the Department of Anaesthesia, including but not limited to:
- Patient pre-anaesthetic assessment in the Pre-operative Assessment Unit.
- Clinical anaesthesia care in the Operating Room Suite, Day Procedure Unit, Medical Imaging, Holman Clinic, Angiography Suite and Birthing Suite.
- Involvement in the provision of services delivered by the Acute Pain Service.
- Participate in an out of hours on call roster with other specialist anaesthetists as required.
- Liaise with medical colleagues for the coordinated care of hospital patients and provide a consultative service to other specialist units.
- Assist in the arrangement of the onward referral of patients for medical services not available locally.
- Participate in the undergraduate and post graduate teaching programs of the LGH and the University of Tasmania Clinical School.
- Supervise and teach junior medical staff and medical students attached to the Department of Anaesthesia.
- Follow recommended practices according to the Australian and New Zealand College of Anaesthetists (ANZCA) guidelines and standards, hospital guidelines and Department of Anaesthesia guidelines, policies and protocols.
- Ensure the accurate and comprehensive clinical records maintained for patients managed.
- Participate in department administrative matters and hospital committees as required by the Director of Anaesthesia, Director of Medical Services or the Chief Executive.
- Participate in clinical research approved by the Agency’s Research Governance Office.
- Participate in mandatory training modules as required under the terms of employment for the Agency.
- Upon appointment the incumbent may also be allocated duties, not specifically mentioned in this document, that are within the capacity, qualifications and experience normally expected from persons occupying jobs at this classification level.
- Actively participate in and contribute to the organisation’s Quality & Safety and Work Health & Safety processes, including the development and implementation of safety systems, improvement initiatives and related training, ensuring that quality and safety improvement processes are in place and acted upon.
- The incumbent can expect to be allocated duties, not specifically mentioned in this document, that are within the capacity, qualifications and experience normally expected from persons occupying positions at this classification level.
Location: Launceston General Hospital - Department of Anaesthesia
We can offer:
Attractive Salary Package, including On Call Allowance and Call Back, and election to participate in the Private Patient Plan
Negotiable salary including superannuation and access to salary packaging
Relocation and accommodation assistance
Commitment to ongoing professional development, including conference and sabbatical leave, in additional to annual leave entitlements
Flexible work/life balance
Dynamic team environment
- Specialist or limited registration with the Medical Board of Australia in a relevant specialty.
- Refer to SoD for further essential requirements
- The Head of the State Service has determined that the person nominated for this job is to satisfy a pre employment check before taking up the appointment, on promotion or transfer. The following checks are to be conducted:
1. Conviction checks in the following areas:
a) Crimes of Violence
b) Sex Related Offences
c) Serious Drug Offences
d) Crimes involving dishonesty
2. Identification check
3. Disciplinary action in previous employment check.
How to apply
Online applications are preferred, please click the blue Apply Now button. If you apply online please do not send a hard copy application as well.
Complete the following application form and email your application to the listed contact person including the below form:
Application for Employment (PDF).pdf
Application for Employment (Word).docx
Post your application with the above application form to:
Tasmanian Health Service
Human Resources and Organisational Development
PO Box 1963
LAUNCESTON TAS 7250
In order to be considered for this position it is a requirement that you address the selection criteria which are located in the Statement of Duties.
For more information
Dr Maurice Vialle FANZCA
Director of Anaesthesia
0417 327 329
Better health and quality of life around Tasmania. Visit us at www.ths.tas.gov.au