Come join Launceston. Let us show you why!
As the first rays of sunlight catch the towering dolerite boulders behind you, you enjoy a deep breath of the fresh air. Thanks to the mighty South Esk River carving its way down Cataract Gorge, you are re-invigorated before heading in for a shift at the LGH. This energy seems to permeate your work as friendly faces herald your arrival. To top it off, the switchboard operator asks after your health when you ring to make the first referral of the day. Again, you are reminded of the wonderful human scale of Launceston which makes life and work so rewarding.
The Emergency Department is a 43 bed unit that opened in 2012, with an annual attendance of 45,000, a 30-40% admission rate and 20% paediatric caseload. As the referral hospital for the entire north of Tasmania, with no bypass, our department experiences high acuity and clinical diversity, receiving all types of patients including major trauma. The hospital has all major specialties, including a fully supported ICU with ECMO capability and 24-hour cardiac interventional angiography.
We have ACEM accreditation for 24 months Emergency Medicine, Paediatric logbook and an Ultrasound Special skills post.
At the end of the day, it’s the people you work with! And since we are often working at the end of the day, this matters! As a consultant group we value and foster a supportive, collegiate, and cohesive atmosphere. The consultant group draws on a huge diversity of knowledge, skills and experience with special interests in Ultrasound, Paediatrics, Retrieval, International EM, Medical education, Simulation and Medical leadership. This makes each shift intellectually rewarding and good fun.
Rostering is designed for maximum happiness, with multiple FACEMs per shift, on call only once per fortnight and an average of 3 weekends off each month. We also cater for personalised rostering nuances for senior consultants.
Provide specialist emergency medical care to patients attending the Emergency Department (ED) at the Launceston General Hospital (LGH).
Participate in research, quality improvement activities and undergraduate, post-graduate, and other teaching programs at the LGH.
Provide in specialist advice to inpatient units as required.
Our Local Attractions
Located in the centre of northern Tasmania, Launceston is your gateway to exploring the island. Experience 4 distinct seasons in a dynamic city fostering local artisans, designers and market gardeners, all without the hassle of traffic jams and long commutes.
Relax and enjoy the beautiful local vineyards and fresh produce. Explore markets, orchards, and berry farms. Take a swim at the stunning natural Cataract Gorge in the centre of town, or at pristine empty beaches to the north and east. Or be adventurous with your pick of world-class mountain biking, kayaking, climbing or hiking all within an hour of Launceston, and even our own ski resort only an hour away!
Video overview of working at Launceston General Hospital https://bit.ly/LGHCareers
Tasmanian | The quiet pursuit of the extraordinary
For the foodies:
Local and world famous trails mountain biking trails:
Nature's our playground: Cataract Gorge nature reserve at our doorstep.
Details of Appointments
Multiple positions available:
- Permanent full time day worker with on call position working 76 hours per fortnight, commencing January 2024
- Fixed Term full time day worker with on call position working 76 hours per fortnight, commencing 4th February 2024 until 1 February 2025
- Fixed Term part time day worker with on call position working 38 hours per fortnight, commencing from asap until 1 November 2026
*notwithstanding hours to be negotiated with the successful applicant
- Applicants should note that, for a period of twelve months from the date of publication, this selection process may be used to fill subsequent or similar full time and part time vacancies.
Specialist Medical Practitioners
Specialist Medical Practitioner Level 1- Senior Specialist Medical Practitioner Level 3 $234,726 -$247,768 + 11% superannuation + access to salary packaging
*Please note that Salaried Medical Practitioners Agreement has recently been negotiated but not yet certified by the Tasmanian Industrial Commission”
Once registered remuneration is proposed to be as per link per link below.
Medical Practitioner salary rates | Tasmanian Department of Health
Please note that access to the Senior Specialist Medical Practitioner salary range $234,726 -$247,768 is subject to the successful applicant satisfying the criteria for Senior Specialist Medical Practitioner Level 1, 2 or 3 as outlined in the Medical Practitioners (Tasmanian State Service) Award
- Salary range is currently in accordance with Salaried Medical Practitioners (Tasmanian State Service) Agreement 2019
In addition, the following allowances calculated on the salaried incremental point may be available:
- Provision of a fully maintained motor vehicle allowance of $25,758 per annum, pro rata
- Communication allowance of $1,948 per annum, pro rata
- Continuing Professional Development Allowance of $24,927 per annum, pro rata
- Relocation and commencement support available up to $15,000 for approved appointees
- Ability to salary package
- Special regional perks and allowances
- Excellent leave benefits including Sabbatical leave
- Diverse non-clinical portfolios and creative freedom
- Professional stability and retirement benefits
Successful applicants will be required to meet the essential criteria:
Specialist or limited registration with the Medical Board of Australia in the relevant specialty
The Head of the State Service has determined that the person nominated for this job is to satisfy a pre‑employment check before taking up the appointment, on promotion or transfer. The following checks are to be conducted:
- Conviction checks in the following areas:
- Crimes of violence
- sex related offences
- serious drug offences
- crimes involving dishonesty
- Identification check
- Disciplinary action in previous employment check.
Download the Statement of Duties and any Associated Documents
We encourage you to review the Applicant Guide, Statement of Duties, prior to applying for an overview of the duties, program, selection process and selection criteria.
Statement of Duties
Generic Staff Specialist - Emergency Medicine SMP 1-11 (July 2023) CSU (2).pdf
Generic Staff Specialist - Emergency Medicine SMP 1-11 (July 2023) CSU (2).docx
Department of Health - Applicant Guide June 22.pdf
Department of Health - Applicant Guide June 22.docx
How to Apply
Apply Online. Please click the "Apply" button on this screen. This ensures important questions about you are answered.
You will be prompted to complete a 1-2 page application detailing your experience, skills and knowledge as they relate to the attached Statement of Duties.
- We do not require a separate statement addressing the selection criteria in the Statement of Duties.
- All attachments must be in Microsoft Word or PDF format.
- Referee details are submitted as part of the online application so make sure you have the contact details of two referees before applying.
For more information
Dr Lucy Reed
Position: Director of Emergency Department
Phone: (03) 67776777
Dr Fiona Cowan
Position: Deputy Director of Emergency Medicine
Phone: (03) 67776777
The email account you provide when submitting job applications will be used in correspondence to you. It is important that this is kept up to date and monitored regularly.
To update your email address (or contact number), log in to www.jobs.tas.gov.au and look for “Existing applicant login” where you can update your details
The Department of Health values workforce diversity and recognises the value each person offers which is shaped by their unique characteristics, background, experiences, knowledge, skills, values and perspectives.