The Administrative Assistant’s responsibilities chiefly fall within the following core functions, although she/he may perform other tasks as needed.
• Administrative Support for the Department Head
• Business Office Support
• General Staff Responsibilities
Salary Grade: 11
Please see Staff Compensation Structure for salary ranges.
The ASE department offers an enriching undergraduate program leading to a Bachelor of Science degree, as well as challenging and exciting graduate programs leading to the Master of Science and Doctor of Philosophy degrees. Founded in 1935, the aerospace engineering program is one of the most established in the nation. Aerospace engineers are primarily focused on the design, fabrication, testing, and analysis of aircraft and spacecraft.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Directs, supervises, and coordinates the administrative function of a complex office.
2. Performs a wide variety of clerical duties which could be confidential in nature; operates personal computer to perform basic to complex typing assignments to include: enter data, draft, edit, revise, and print letters, tables, reports, and other materials.
3. May greet and direct visitors, when appropriate; resolve routine administrative problems and answer inquiries concerning activities and operations of department/division.
4. May answer telephone, route calls, take messages, and provide general information.
5. Performs a range of staff and/or operational support activities; may serve as a liaison with other departments on basic administrative and/or operational matters.
6. May establish, maintain, and updates files, databases, records, and/or other documents; develops and maintains data, and performs routine analyses and calculations in the processing of data for recurring internal reports.
7. May sort, screen, and distribute incoming and outgoing mail; drafts or prepares responses to routine inquiries; prepares photocopies and facsimiles and operates a variety of office equipment.
8. Manages complex events calendar for unit; coordinates the logistics of unit functions and events. May arrange meetings and conferences, schedules interviews and appointments, and perform other duties related to maintaining one or more individual schedules; take meeting minutes; make travel and lodging arrangements using the MSU Concur Travel System, either directly or through travel agencies.
9. May order, stock, and distribute office supplies, and recruiting materials.
10. Performs basic, routine bookkeeping functions, which may involve simple billing and cash receipt activities.
11. Assist with inventory control through self-audits, State of Mississippi Audits, hand-receipt and acquisition management, and inventory disposal.
12. Submit semi-monthly payrolls and manage timesheets of student workers and staff and acquire necessary signatures and approvals.
13. Process electronic leave in Banner for all faculty, staff, and student workers and finalize in Banner before the end of the month.
14. Assist in the reconciliation of the CSE monthly ProCard statements. Assist with semi-annual ProCard audit preparations.
15. Prepare Direct Pays, etc. for reimbursements to faculty, staff, and students.
16. Interviews, trains, and evaluates subordinate support staff.
17. Performs miscellaneous job-related duties as assigned.
The above essential duties are representative of major duties in this position. Specific duties and responsibilities may vary based upon departmental needs. Other duties may be assigned to the above consistent with the knowledge, skills and abilities required for the job. Not all of the duties may be assigned to a position.
Education: High school diploma
Experience (yrs.): 4-6 years Directly related to the duties and responsibilities specified.
Indicated education is required; no substitutions allowed.
When a candidate has the required education, but lacks the required experience, they may normally apply additional appropriate education toward the experience requirement, at a rate of one (1) year relevant education per year of required experience.
1. Bachelor’s degree in accounting or business.
2. Experience in fund accounting.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
* Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
* Working knowledge of word processing, spreadsheet, and database software packages.
* This position has no supervisory responsibilities but may give general instructions to subordinate student employees.
Working Conditions and Physical Effort
* Work is normally performed in a typical interior/office work environment.
* No or very limited exposure to physical risk.
* No or very limited physical effort required.
* Vision requirements: Ability to see information in print and/or electronically.
Instructions for Applying:
Applicants must apply through www.msujobs.msstate.edu and attached cover letter, current resume and complete information for three professional references
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement:
MSU is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, ethnicity, sex, religion, national origin, disability, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, pregnancy, gender identity, status as a U.S. veteran, and/or any other status protected by applicable law. We always welcome nominations and applications from women, members of any minority group, and others who share our passion for building a diverse community that reflects the diversity in our student population.
What do I do if I need an accommodation?
In compliance with the ADA Amendments Act (ADAAA), if you have a disability and would like to request an accommodation in order to apply for a position with Mississippi State University, please contact the Department of Human Resources Management at tel: (662) 325-3713 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you have any questions regarding this policy, contact the Department of Human Resources Management at (662) 325-3713 or email@example.com. Upon request, sections of this job listing are available in large print, and readers are available to assist the visually impaired.