Research Associate is a full-time, regular position located at the National Center for Alluvial Aquifer Research (NCAAR) within the Delta Research and Extension Center, Stoneville, MS. The function of this position is to assist in planning, coordinating, and conducting laboratory research under general supervision. The individual must be able to work cooperatively with other team members and collaborators. The research involves extensive laboratory work in multiple crops including corn, soybean, rice, peanuts, grain sorghum, and wheat.
Salary Grade: 13
Please see Staff Compensation Structure or Skilled Crafts and Service Maintenance Compensation Schedule for salary ranges. For salary grade UC, these positions are "Unclassified" and salary ranges are determined by the hiring department.
This position will be located at the National Center for Alluvial Aquifer Research within the Delta Research and Extension Center in Stoneville, MS.
Area of Specialization:
Agronomy, Soil Science, Irrigation Management Research Lab
Anticipated Appointment Date:
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
• Implements new programs, tests, methods, and instrumentation.
• Establishes quality standards to maintain laboratory equipment performance including QA/QC protocols and SOPs.
• Keeps supplies stocked by determining inventory level.
• Maintains laboratory productivity and laboratory equipment by monitoring the workload of functional areas and conducting routine maintenance.
• Identifies informational needs to manage laboratory information systems.
• Trains lab technicians and assistants on the correct use of lab equipment.
• Completes operational requirements by scheduling and assigning employees.
• Ensures employees follow industry standards and safety regulations for handling and disposing of test samples.
B.S. Degree in Biology, Chemistry or related field.
Salary and rank (I, II, III, or Senior) will be commensurate with qualifications and experience.
M.S. Degree in Biology, Chemistry, Soil Science or related field. Capable of carrying out assigned research duties following supervisor’s instructions. Demonstrated ability to work in a team environment.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
• Ability and drive to solve practical problems.
• Strong organizational skills.
• Project management skills, including the ability to track and manage inventory.
• Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general inquiries.
• Excellent multitasking skills.
Working Conditions and Physical Effort
Lab Equipment to work with:
• Particle Size Analyzer
• Lachat Flow Injection Analyzer
• flashSmart Elemental Analyzer
• Gas Chromatograph/Ion Chromatograph
• Inductive Couple Plasma
• Soil and Plant ovens and grinders
• Desktop analyses (ph, texture analysis with hydrometers, etc.)
Instructions for Applying:
Link to apply: http://explore.msujobs.msstate.edu/
All applicants must apply online at http://explore.msujobs.msstate.edu. Please submit resume, transcripts, cover letter/letter of application, and a list of 3 professional references with name and contact number. Any social security numbers included on requested transcripts should be redacted prior to submitting online.
For additional information contact Dr. Drew Gholson, Delta Research and Extension Center P.O. Box 197, Stoneville, MS 38776 or email@example.com 662-390-8510.
December 19, 2022 until filled.
Position is contingent upon continued availability of funding.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement:
MSU is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, ethnicity, sex, religion, national origin, disability, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, pregnancy, gender identity, status as a U.S. veteran, and/or any other status protected by applicable law. We always welcome nominations and applications from women, members of any minority group, and others who share our passion for building a diverse community that reflects the diversity in our student population.
What do I do if I need an accommodation?
In compliance with the ADA Amendments Act (ADAAA), if you have a disability and would like to request an accommodation in order to apply for a position with Mississippi State University, please contact the Department of Human Resources Management at tel: (662) 325-3713 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you have any questions regarding this policy, contact the Department of Human Resources Management at (662) 325-3713 or email@example.com. Upon request, sections of this job listing are available in large print, and readers are available to assist the visually impaired.