This is a twelve month, tenure track position consisting of a 50% research appointment and a 50% Extension appointment. The research appointment may include facilities management responsibilities. The incumbent is expected to collaborate with other faculty in the Division of Agriculture, Forestry, and Veterinary Medicine (DAFVM) as appropriate, to develop an effective multidisciplinary research and Extension program that has a meaningful impact on beef cattle producers in Mississippi and the Southeastern U.S. Numerous collaborative research opportunities exist with scientists at other MAFES research locations throughout the state.
The academic home for this position will reside in the Department of Animal & Dairy Science.
Salary Grade: UC
Please see Staff Compensation Structure or Skilled Crafts and Service Maintenance Compensation Schedule for salary ranges. For salary grade UC, these positions are "Unclassified" and salary ranges are determined by the hiring department.
The Central Mississippi Research and Extension Center (CMREC) is one of four Research and Extension Centers in the MSU System and located in Raymond, MS. The Mississippi Agricultural and Forestry Experiment Station (MAFES) - Brown Loam Branch Experiment Station is administratively associated with the CMREC and located just south of Raymond, MS. The Brown Loam Branch Experiment Station is a 1,700-acre research facility and historically focused on beef cattle research as well as crop research associated with cotton, corn, soybean and winter annuals. The successful candidate will be provided office space at the CMREC and the Brown Loam Branch Experiment Station.
Area of Specialization:
Animal Science and Beef Cattle Production Research and Extension
Anticipated Appointment Date:
March 1, 2024.
Tenure Track Status:
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Specifically, the successful candidate will:
1) Provide leadership to the beef cattle research program at Brown Loam Branch Experiment Station.
- Develop a robust MAFES research program in beef cattle production based on needs assessments and funding opportunities.
- Work productively with staff and students on a MAFES research team.
- Work cooperatively and collaboratively with other faculty to implement MAFES research and Extension programs.
- Establish a strong record of scholarly publications and presentations.
2) Serve as a productive MAFES research and Extension faculty member.
- Secure extramural funding to support MAFES research and Extension programs.
- Demonstrate scholarly activity via publication in appropriate academic journals.
- Demonstrate a commitment to service through activities such as participation on department, college, and university committees via service to appropriate professional associations.
- Contribute to collegial work environment and foster productive working relationships with MAFES scientists, Extension specialists, faculty, staff, and Extension agents, and external stakeholders.
- Participate in graduate education by chairing and serving on graduate committees, supervising thesis and dissertation research, and publishing results with graduate students and other collaborative team members.
- Participate in faculty meetings and collaborate with faculty in both the Central Mississippi Research and Extension Center and the Department of Animal and Dairy Sciences.
- Perform duties to support MAFES research and Extension programs as assigned.
- The successful candidate with be expected to develop a collaborative, applied, multidisciplinary MAFES research program for beef and cattle related to new and existing production practices and systems. Research focus on breeding and genetics, reproductive physiology, forage-based ruminant nutrition, and/or sustainable production practices is needed and would be considered appropriate for this position.
- The successful candidate will also work closely with producers, clientele, stakeholders, other state Extension specialists, county Extension agents, researchers, and other related parties to identify and assess animal production issues and needs and to develop strategies to improve livestock production and other relevant issues as identified by stakeholders and clientele.
- Perform duties to support MAFES research and Extension program as assigned.
Within the second year of employment, the successful candidate will be expected to develop a statewide Extension program that addresses livestock issues relevant to Mississippi producers. The successful candidate will also participate in other research activities in collaboration with current MAFES and MSU Extension scientists to include in-service to Extension agents.
The successful candidate will develop and teach educational programs to the appropriate clientele and local Extension agents based on national, state, and county needs assessments. The successful candidate will be required to develop and teach non-formal Extension Planned Programs (documented) to clientele and Extension agents. Program outcomes and impacts, as well as non-formal teaching evaluations, will be required. The successful candidate will also be expected to seek and obtain external funds to support her/his approved research and Extension programming.
A Ph.D. in Animal Science or closely related discipline is required. The successful candidate will have practical knowledge of U.S. animal agriculture, enabling him/her to work with public and private entities and agricultural producers in Mississippi to develop system solutions to practical beef production issues. Excellent interpersonal skills and verbal and written communication skills are required for the position. Experience in beef cattle farm management and Extension outreach are desirable.
ABDs or degree pending considered (all but DISS):
Candidate should have graduate research experience in beef cattle production with working knowledge of forage management, beef cattle reproductive management, beef cattle genetic management, and integrated livestock/agronomy systems are preferred. Candidates with professional experience effectively managing a research team are preferred. Extension outreach experience is preferred. Experience in beef cattle farm management is preferred.
Instructions for Applying:
Link to apply: http://explore.msujobs.msstate.edu/
All applicants must apply online at www.msujobs.msstate.edu to be considered for this position. Attach to the online application a letter of interest, current curriculum vitae, unofficial transcripts of all college and university work, a statement on research and Extension philosophy (more details below), and names and contact information of three professional references. Official transcripts will be required of the selected candidate. Any social security numbers included on requested transcripts should be redacted prior to submitting online.
Statement on Research and Extension Philosophy – candidate must provide a one page statement and include the following: 1) the candidate’s philosophy on research and Extension; 2) what types of research and Extension activities the candidate would pursue if hired for this position; and, 3) the candidate’s plan on building research and Extension programming based on their training.
Inquiries can be emailed to Dr. Curt Lacy at firstname.lastname@example.org. For more information, contact Dr. Curt Lacy at (601) 857-2284. A review of applications will begin December 1, 2023; however, applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
December 1, 2023 until filled.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement:
MSU is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, ethnicity, sex, religion, national origin, disability, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, pregnancy, gender identity, status as a U.S. veteran, and/or any other status protected by applicable law. We always welcome nominations and applications from women, members of any minority group, and others who share our passion for building a diverse community that reflects the diversity in our student population.
What do I do if I need an accommodation?
In compliance with the ADA Amendments Act (ADAAA), if you have a disability and would like to request an accommodation in order to apply for a position with Mississippi State University, please contact the Department of Human Resources Management at tel: (662) 325-3713 or email@example.com.
If you have any questions regarding this policy, contact the Department of Human Resources Management at (662) 325-3713 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Upon request, sections of this job listing are available in large print, and readers are available to assist the visually impaired.