Specialist - Teacher-Fixed Term
Back to search results
Job no: 771739
Work type: Faculty/Academic Staff
Personnel Sub Area:
FAS- Fac./Acad Staff
Major Administrative Unit / College:
College Of Natural Science
Earth And Environmental Sciences 10032368
Salary Commensurate with Experience
Location: East Lansing
Categories: Education/Training, Fixed Term Academic Staff, Full Time (90-100%), Union
The individual selected for this position will teach undergraduate general-education science courses in the Center for Integrative Studies for General Science and serve as Undergraduate Academic Advisor to undergraduate majors in the Department of Earth & Environmental Sciences. The College of Natural Science seeks candidates whose teaching and mentoring has prepared them to contribute to our commitment to diversity and inclusion in higher education.
As an Instructor in the Center for Integrative Studies for General Science, this individual will:
- Typically teach two sections of integrative science courses (e.g., History of Life; Natural Hazards and the Environment; Global Change) per semester
- Participate in CISGS faculty meetings.
- Engage in and support curricular reform and assessment initiatives to foster scientific literacy for undergraduates at MSU
As an Academic Advisor in the Department of Earth & Environmental Sciences, this individual will:
- Assist in students’ course selection, maintain and monitor student progress towards degree completion
- Support students by providing academic success strategies, creating connections with campus resources, research, and internship opportunities; encourage growth in career development, including preparation for graduate and professional school
Collaborate with advising and faculty colleagues to promote professional growth and to support the students’ academic success
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, citizenship, age, disability or protected veteran status.
Doctorate -Earth Sciences, Environmental Sciences o
Successful applicant must have:
- Experience in teaching undergraduate science courses
- Experience mentoring students from broadly diverse demographic and social backgrounds
- Facility with using active-learning and inquiry-based modes of instruction.
- Facility with the use of instructional technology, including remote learning.
- Demonstrated ability to work closely with other Faculty and Academic Advisors and a diverse student population.
- Excellent communication, interpersonal, and organizational skills with the ability to work collaboratively.
Required Application Materials
(2) Cover Letter, which discusses your interest in the position, your experience with mentoring and advising undergraduate students; your teaching philosophy; and a description of how issues of diversity and inclusion shape your pedagogy and advising or mentoring activities/philosophy.
(3) Names and contact information for three references
The university is requiring all MSU students, faculty and staff to be vaccinated against COVID-19 with limited exceptions. Learn more at: https://msu.edu/together-we-will/
Review of Applications Begins On
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, citizenship, age, disability or protected veteran status.
Michigan State University has been advancing the common good with uncommon will for more than 160 years. One of the top research universities in the world, MSU pushes the boundaries of discovery and forges enduring partnerships to solve the most pressing global challenges while providing life-changing opportunities to a diverse and inclusive academic community through more than 200 programs of study in 17 degree-granting colleges.
Advertised: Eastern Daylight Time
Applications close: Eastern Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now