Associate Vice President-Exec Mgt
Back to search results
Job no: 797430
Work type: Executive Management
Personnel Sub Area:
FAS- Fac./Acad Staff
Major Administrative Unit / College:
Research And Innovation
Office Of Research And Innovation 10059722
Salary Commensurate with Experience
Location: East Lansing
Categories: Research/Scientific, Executive Management, Full Time (90-100%), Non-Union, Remote-Friendly
Michigan State University (MSU) seeks to fill the senior-level administrative position of Associate Vice President for Research and Innovation (AVPRI). The Office of Research and Innovation (ORI, https://vp.research.msu.edu/) promotes excellence in research at Michigan State University by providing a full range of research support while assuring the safety of researchers and ethical conduct of research, compliance with state and federal regulations, promoting technology transfer and external partnerships, supporting core facilities, and implementing university policies for research and creative activities.
The AVPRI is a leader/advocate in support of the full research agenda of the University. The AVPRI works closely with the VPRI and staff, academic colleges, research institutes and centers, research support facilities and other research units to coordinate investments in people and infrastructure to advance the research mission of the University. This leadership role will help to expand the University’s work as a leading research institution and the premier land grant institution where the faculty and staff provide scientific contributions and leadership to solve problems and create economic opportunities for Michigan, the U.S., and the world.
Primary responsibility for implementing the University’s commitment to research lies with the individual colleges and their departments/schools. The OVPRI supports and enables these efforts within the University in the following ways:
- supporting and advancing research that is inclusive of all fields and disciplines, communities, and social identities,
- success through empowering people through our commitment to DEI Initiatives, effective performance feedback and succession planning, and leadership development,
- facilitating partnerships and dialogue for research and innovation with external partners throughout the University and beyond,
- developing an inclusive vision, plan and strategic goals for research and innovation,
- providing resources and support service to support the work of faculty and staff across the University,
- assisting in securing resources internal and external to MSU to support research and innovation activities,
- advocating for policy/procedure revisions and organizational changes that will promote research and innovation work,
- publicizing our research vision and the work of faculty, staff, and students who exemplify our dedication to research and innovation,
- supporting approaches that involve students in research and innovation to increase impact and enhance the student experience.
The AVPRI is a leader who models respectful and collaborative work with internal and external partners. This individual should work to ensure that groups and organizations can readily access MSU’s resources. Finally, this individual should be prepared to work with others to ensure that the campus is responsive to community-defined issues and to the needs of underrepresented communities.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, citizenship, age, disability or protected veteran status.
- Ph.D. or other terminal degree appropriate for the field of study.
- Significant leadership experience in research administration.
- Established record of scholarship related to research and innovation.
- Demonstrated inclusive and innovative leadership.
- Strong communication and problem-solving skills.
- Familiarity collaborating across disciplines and across constituencies.
- Experience developing and maintaining sustained relationships with funding agencies and other partners.
- Proficiency in strategic planning, mentoring, and program building.
- Demonstrated agility and flexibility in managing and leading change.
- Demonstrated commitment to advancing equity, inclusiveness, and cultural richness in the research environment.
Required Application Materials
CV and cover letter.
The university is requiring all MSU students, faculty and staff to be vaccinated against COVID-19 with limited exceptions. Learn more at: https://msu.edu/together-we-will/
Application materials should be submitted using WittKieffer's candidate portal: https://candidateportal.wittkieffer.com/login?returnUrl=%2Fdescription%3FjobID%3DXXXXX
Nominations and inquiries can be directed to Jessica Herrington and Natalie Song at WittKieffer: MSUAVP@wittkieffer.com
Review of Applications Begins On
Remote Work Statement
MSU strives to provide a flexible work environment and this position has been designated as remote-friendly. Remote-friendly means some or all of the duties can be performed remotely as mutually agreed upon.
Michigan State University has been advancing the common good with uncommon will for more than 160 years. One of the top research universities in the world, MSU pushes the boundaries of discovery and forges enduring partnerships to solve the most pressing global challenges while providing life-changing opportunities to a diverse and inclusive academic community through more than 200 programs of study in 17 degree-granting colleges.
Advertised: Eastern Daylight Time
Applications close: Eastern Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now