|Located in Western New York, State University of New York College at Brockport is a nationally recognized and accredited public institution with competitive state health insurance and retirement plan options. SUNY Brockport also includes Brockport Downtown and sponsors the Rochester Educational Opportunity Center (REOC), both located in Rochester, NY. We are an inclusive employee-oriented university. Be yourself and start your career here. Help us build a better Brockport!
SUNY Brockport is accepting applications for a Maintenance Assistant Painter position.
The Maintenance Assistant Painter performs semiskilled work in preparing surfaces and applying coats of paint, varnish, and other finishes and stains to decorate and protect interior or exterior surfaces and fixtures of buildings, structures, furniture, and equipment.
- Performs interior and exterior painting.
- Prepares surface for painting.
- Supervises maintenance helpers, laborers, institutional workers and other relatively unskilled workers in performing painting.
- Assists Trades Generalist Painter.
- Reviews the work order system daily and provides appropriate feedback via Footprints.
- Performs snow removal tasks as assigned.
- Performs routine and emergency tasks involving scheduled/unscheduled overtime.
- Identifies, removes, packs, transports, or disposes of hazardous materials including asbestos, lead-based paint, waste oil, fuel, and more.
- Assists in the performance of asbestos removal projects to facilitate repairs.
- Handles various types of hazardous materials such as: asbestos, refrigerants, gas, fuel oil, solvents, and more.
- Ability to work holidays, scheduled/unscheduled overtime, shift work and college special events.
- Ability to read and understand written and oral instructions.
- Ability to work both independently and in a team environment.
- Ability to work on different concurrent projects as needed.
- Ability to obtain a NYS Operations and Maintenance Asbestos license.
- Demonstrated knowledge of painting techniques and practices.
- Working knowledge of the characteristics of common types of paints and finishes from the standpoint of their durability, suitability for different purposes, and ease of handling and application.
- Ability to erect and work from scaffolds, swing stages and ladders.
- Ability to use the tools, equipment and materials of the painting trade.
- Ability to stand for long periods of time, to climb, and to bend.
- Ability to lead the activities of a subordinate staff.
- Ability to apply wall coverings.
- Ability to work in confined space situations using personal protective equipment.
- Two years of full-time experience in painting work under the supervision of a skilled tradesperson; OR completion of an appropriate two-year technical school course in painting at a school, institute, or branch of the Armed - 4 - Services; or an equivalent combination of experience and training gained by completion of appropriate technical courses at a school, institute, or branch of the Armed Services.
- Valid NYS Driver's License, must be able to pass LENS Check.
- Technical training/education in related skills.
- Skilled in one or more trades.
- Demonstrates computer literacy.
- Willingness to learn new skills.
||40 hours/week Monday-Friday, 3:00pm -11:30pm
|Salary and Benefits:
||$37,507. May be benefits eligible; more information at Careers@Brockport.
||Submit your application, cover letter, resume, and contact information for three professional references (one being a current supervisor) at jobs.brockport.edu .
|New York State Executive Order:
|Pursuant to Executive Order 161, no State entity, as defined by the Executive Order, is permitted to ask, or mandate, in any form, that an applicant for employment provide his or her current compensation, or any prior compensation history, until such time as the applicant is extended a conditional offer of employment with compensation. If such information has been requested from you before such time, please contact the Governor’s Office of Employee Relations via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
|Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer Diversity Statement:
|We are part of an academic community committed to fostering integrity, civility, and justice. We affirm that the dignity of our Brockport community is protected when free speech, academic freedom and individual rights are expressed within a climate of civility and mutual respect. Striving to learn from each other, we value human diversity because it enriches our lives and it is fundamental to the College’s commitment to teaching, learning, scholarship and service leading to student success.
|SUNY Brockport is an AA/EEO/ADA employer. The College actively seeks applications from women, veterans, individuals with a disability, members of underrepresented groups or anyone that would enrich the diversity of the College.